Hi, in the last couple of weeks, I’ve been having light flashes, “watery” vision and sudden decrease of vision. I went to doctor and it turned out that I have retinal detachment. I could really use any information about this disease. Thanks

Hi, retinal detachment is an eye disorder where the retina is peeled away from its supporting tissue. It has to be treated, because otherwise, it can lead to blindness and vision loss. You probably got an emergency medical treatment. Retina translates the things we see into neural impulses, and then sends them to optic nerve which is in the brain. You have typical symptoms of retinal detachment - light flashes, “watery” vision and sudden decrease of vision. But there are also some symptoms like a dramatic increase in the number of floaters and feeling of heaviness in the eye. Retinal detachment can be treated on more than one ways. For example, there is a method called cryotherapy (freezing) and laser photocoagulation, then there is a scleral buckle surgery , pneumatic retinopexy and vitrectomy.