Hi. I`m 42 years old and have some kind of an eye problem. I see specks floating in my field of vision, and, sometimes, light flashes. My doctor told me I got retinal tear (type rhegmatogenous – he said that is the most common type). I guess it`s some kind of eye disease or something? Will I go blind? Anybody? What is retinal tear? Is there a cure (my doctor told me that I will have to go to surgery – is that really necessary)? I`m also nearsighted, is there a connection?

Hi. I was diagnosed with retinal tear (rhegmatogenous), too. It`s also called retinal detachment. Anyway, retina sends visual messages to your brain, and when retina detaches it means that it`s not in normal position any more. Blindness is your future if you don`t treat your retinal tear. Being nearsighted gives you more chances to “catch” retinal detachment. Retinal tear is treated with surgery. There are some other options, such as cryopexy (freeze treatment), and vitrectomy. Over 90% of patients with retinal tear can be effectively treated.