Hi, I have retinal detachment, but it isn’t caused by any of common symptoms. My doctor suspects that it’s caused by exertion, because I’ve been lifting lot of weights. Is it possible?

Hi, you are the first person with same condition and cause like mine that I’ve spoken to. I was spending most of my time in the gym, lifting weights. Beside hernia, I got some eye problems. I started to feel heaviness and pain in my eye, so I went to doctor. He told me that I have retinal detachment due to exertion, and that I have to stop lifting weights. If I understood well, this condition is peeling retina away from its underlying layer of support tissue. It is a medical emergancy becuase it can lead to blindness if it’s not treated. It has to be surgically reattached immediately, and I don’t know what are you waiting for.

I used to have my eyes checked every year, because I have weak eye sight for the distance. At the age of 24, Upon a yearly checkup Dr. told me that I have my right eye retina detached almost 35%. But the central point is Ok, that’s why I was not noticing any problem in my sight.

Dr. could not understand any of the reason for this detachment. There were no usual symptoms.

I used to wear soft contact lenses, and the lenses used to give me the problem of the fungus in my eyes, especially in the right eye. I think this could be a reason for the detachment. God Knows better.

The Dr. treated me with LASER surgery for two times (with a gap of 2 days). Since then I get my eyes check up on 6 monthly intervals. Its been 5 years since then, I am feeling no trouble. May God help me in this matter and the maters to come

I wanted to follow up on the information from "Siena' and "Dunham" both of whom apparently had retina detachments which they thought was possibly due to lifting weights. I think there is someting to this.

I started lifting weights about a month before my retina detached and I had to have a vitrectomy and a buckle put in.n My doctor said he didn't think that lifting weights had much to do with it, he thought it was the cataract surgery I had a couple of years ago. But isn't it odd that about a month after I started lifting weights, I had this problem? I had no pain with the detached retina, just floaters and, finally, almost complete lack of vision, which happened within a day, in my right eye.

Most improtantly, I hope anyone who has had cataract surgery will be careful exercising and consult your opthomologist before lifting weights. Be cautious and God Bless.