My daughter has myopia and her optamologist says she needs -12 lenses in both eyes. This is worrying me a lot since both I and my husband and my other 2 kids have normal eye sight. I thought that myopia was hereditary, so I will take her to the hospital to have her retina checked with a machine since there is a risk of retina detachment. When she was a baby she had 2 eye infections but I treated them with eye drops. She was ok.

It just means that she is nearsighted. I was born with a high myopia as well -9 in my right and -14 in my left. I have never had to have surgery as of yet though I know someday I will. I know my risk of retinal detachment and blindness is very high, but for now glasses will correct this. When your child is older then laser surgery might be a good option, but until then don't treat them like it’s a disorder.