Hi. I’m 58 an generally in god health and form. To be honest, I even can’t remember when I last was ill. I know I’m getting older and that I will have more and more health problems in the future, but this what I’m experiencing these days seems too soon for me. Until recently my vision was almost perfect. I began wearing glasses only 4 years ago and I need them only when reading. But, lately, I’ve been experiencing floaters and sometimes an illusion of flashing lights. Floaters are usually shaped as dots. I’m really worried that I’m losing vision… What could this be?? Is is possible this could be vitreous detachment??

Well, regarding your age and symptoms it is highly possible that you indeed have vitreous detachment. After all, is a very common condition in eldery people. It occurs in about 75 per cent of people over the age of 65. AI know that you’re a bit younger than that, but you still belong into that category. Unfortunately, at the moment, nothing can be done medically for this condition. The good news is that people usually find that the symptoms calm down after five - six months and get used to living with it. Also, having vitreous detachment does not necessarily mean that you will lose your vision. Actually, your visual acuity should remain the same as it is now. Also, be sure to see your doctor once in a while, just to check it out. Hope this helps.