Any ideas on what can cure the munchies that seem to hit at 9:30 and 10 at night. I am good up until it is bedtime and then as I shut down the computer and turn off all the lights in the rest of the house I am drawn to the pantry for a non-healthy snack and soda like an iron filing to a magnet!
The wierd thing is that I can sit and read a book, play a game on the computer or watch TLC and not have a desire to snack but as soon as I start shutting down for the night I have a strong desire to eat!

Help. I am back up above 190 and I know if I want to see a serious drop in my times I need to get back down to 180 and I am sure it will help my cholesterol also?

Have you tried drinking water instead of eating late at night?

Lay off the bong hits while you're watching TV....

No, really.....I get like that sometimes too, it could be dehydration, like PH says, but the drawback to drinking a lot of water closer to bedtime is that you'll be up during the night. I hate that. What time do you guys usually eat dinner? Maybe you're eating early and could use a small HEALTHY snack a few hours after.

I'd try the water first though, do you drink at all after dinner? I know I drink the majority of mine during the day and once I get home I sorta slack off about it. If you're still hungry, maybe you'll just have to try stocking more healthy stuff and let your body eat a little.

Thanks everybody. I probably do have to increase my water intake, especially since the heat is starting to rise down here! I will try that for a week and try and make a concerted effort to stay out of the pantry as I shut down the house! :D

I sometimes make some Oatmeal. Nice healthy, low fat snack.

OK - time to OUT myself. i am a popcorn addict. i make it most every night -- no microwave stuff. i am hooked on the air popped stuff believe it or not. and really hooked on the kind you make on the stove top. i do not use a lot of oil and put nothing on it when it's done but--Man--i am so hooked on this stuff. try the black jewel variety.....

it is fairly low calorie when eaten plain and full of fiber

my kids were amazed when i made popcorn for the first time on the stovetop. they'd never seen anything but microwave.

popcorn or nothing for me at night

Hey boiler-man, lately I'll eat an orange about 30 minutes before bedtime. That works for me...also, I've said this before, but flavored seltzer water fills you up pretty well...

joel

It sounds like it's more of a habit than anything else, and so you'll just need to break it.

I agree with the water thing, though. If you are dehydrated it can easily be mistaken for hunger.

I get hungry at night, too. What I usually eat is either an orange, baby carrots, jello, low fat popcorn, or another kind of bulk food (bulk food = large quantity, low calorie).

Usually does the trick. Just remember, take the quantity you intend to eat away from where you served it.