It seems that's all people do in the evenings. I don't like TV and therefore I don't have much to do. Someone told me that the average couple spends 1 hour a day in conversation and a combined 7 hours of watching television. That's incredible.

User avatar 6906 posts

Well, I was alive before TV albeit just a kid. My father sat in his chair and listened to the radio while reading the newspaper. My mother was usually doing something in the kitchen or sitting in her chair reading. I was on the floor playing with my toys or outside playing with other kids. By the time we got a TV around 1953 or 54 after my father's heart attack, I was 13 or 14 and off somewhere around town on my bicycle and had no interest in sitting home to help them watch it. About the only thing that got me to stay home to watch the TV was if Teresa Brewer was on or Jerry Lee Lewis. I didn't like Elvis but I did watch Space Patrol. Of course I started working in the local radio repair shop (TV was too new to have TV added to the name yet even though we did sell and repair them) when I was 11 so that used up 20 hours of the week. Sometimes I would ride my bike over to my boss' house to help him watch his TV but I mostly liked listening to his phonograph playing through the huge Klipschorn speaker (about 5 feet tall and 3 feet wide). Stereo had not been invented so it was just one. It would blow out a candle if you held it in front of the bass speaker. When I was 16 I was busy building dragsters at night and most of my spare time until I enlisted in the army when I was eighteen. So having watched nearly no TV while growing up, naturally I became a TV repairman for a living after I got out of the army.

In no particular order:

Radio/music (i.e., records or making your own)
Read
Visit neighbors/friends
:naughty:
Community activities

quilting bees, cards, games, made butter, sewed clothes, washed clothes by hand, made soap..........

:1: to everything Hyper said.

DH watches more television than I do and we rarely watch it together (unless it's a movie). I spend time reading, catching up at the RR, homework, and housework.

a DAY? Who has time to watch 7 hours of TV a day?
Some things I would do if I had time/there was no TV: cook, read, sleep more, RUN MORE, maybe do about 7 other sports, read (because I would do a lot more of this) and get involved with community events of various kinds.

Combined. That would be 3.5 hours each.
Figure a half hour to an hour in the AM for morning news, and 2.5-3 hours at night.
Sounds right for most people I know.

When you put it that way I probably do watch around 2 hours on a good day.
and on second thought I've been known to watch over 12 hours of football or basketball on certain weekend days...

8O I've been known to sleep over 12 hours on certain nights...

Yeah, I could easily lay claim to a 14 or 16 hour TV weekend if it involves a couple of good college games, a hockey game or two, and then the NFL on Sunday.

Top that off with some TV as I drift off to bed, and I've probably had a 20 hour weekend here and there....

Generally though, I don't watch much TV at all...

Yeah, there is something really wrong with that...

I never liked that show too much.....John Davidson was over the top.
Though the Rubik's Cube, Yogi who folded himself in a box and slowed his heart down and the Chisombop Kids were fun.

Yeah a few of my roomies are like that...yet they give excuses that they have no time to work out or run...go figure...

I find that I'm watching less and less tv through the week. May an hour at night, and it's usually something I dvr'd the night or nights before. Sundays are my heaviest tv days, study, zone out for a bit, study, zone out, etc.

I have the Today show on in the mornings, but I listen more than watch. I get my RR fix while that is on.

It's easier for me to bowflex than run at this point, but once the tree comes down, that's where the treadmill will go and then I'll definitely be able to put more time into that. Providing I can find some strong men to bring it up the stairs. Yipes!

Tilled the fields.