Hi, i am just getting over a chronic cough due to bronchitis about 1 month long. My sides were sore, now it is just my right side that REALLY hurts a lot when I cough or move suddenly. I am unable to sleep on my side or stomach, only on my back. I cannot run and go up stairs without the pain. I am contemplating spening 13 hours waiting in the emergency room but I am wondering if it is worth it. Other then pain meds what can a doc do for me? Is it possible that i cracked a rib due to my cough... ?

Thanks :-)

I am wondering the same myself, with no answers from online. Though at the moment I have no ability to get medical help and am wondering if the cough could be the cause, or another side affect.

I am thinking the coughing over a long period has something to do with it. I took the flu shot and shortly after I experienced flu like symptoms including uncontrollable couhing. It's been two weeks and finally got in to see a doctor to get antibiotics prescribed. My symptoms are starting to subside but now I am starting to feel soreness on the left side of my ribs. It also hurts if I breathe in too deeply. I'm going to give it a week to see if the soreness goes away. Otherwise I will go see a doctor to make sure there is no inflamation or something else going on with my body.

I just posted the previous post. I found some additional information on-line:

"Extremely violent coughing can also contribute to soreness of the ribs, much in the same way that injuries can. The muscles, cartilage and bones of the ribcage can actually be seriously damaged by severe coughing; the rib bones can even be fractured from intense coughing. Cough suppressant medications and anti-inflammatory medications are often used to help treat the cause of the coughing and the sore ribs that can occur from it. "

Hope this helps.

I have the same, I have wrapped my lower rib with my sacroiliac belt lots of relief . do anything you can to put a little presher on the ribs ,, a couple of belt wrapped around a towel use your imaginnation

October 2018 I coughed for almost 5 days and now although much better my ribs are still sore