having trouble knowing what i can eat after my gallbladder removeal.  can you eat pasta that is not whole wheat or mixed with mayonaise ?  or chocolate.  i know you shouldn't greasy food but need to know what else you should not eat.   thanks christine d.  

Hello im an 18 nearly 19year old man and near two year ago just 4 days after my 17th birthday i had an attac of acute pancreatitis was verry painful but evantaly after a fue week it started to go down till it had gone but once agen in april i had an attac of acute pancreatites the pain never went and had regular visits to a&e but my amylase in my blood were normal and this pain in the top of my stomchok would not go down and i thort it was all in my head at one point i had endoscapys ultra sound and mri and was told it was fine and i thort the pain was all in my head and i was going mad well 9 week ago i had a an attac of acute pancreatites and the same ten day l8ter and then just over two week l8ter but then i see a surgan wen thay keep me in and he look at all the scans done and test resolts and come to me the next morning and said i had cronic pancreatitis and will effect me for life and pain mite not ever go but u will with painkillers and self control get the pain down but it fell like it not working and iv cant take much more in a&e every at lest 1 time every 2 weeks and i sleep verry littel because of pain  and fell  like no body lisning to me and understand the pain im in just want some word of wistom and advice to help pain and sleep form some one who suffers from cronic panratites and havent drank since december 2010

I consider myself an academic disaster but I can read, write, and spell better than you.

Everyone is different. I had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago. The first 6 months was a mine field of food. I never knew what I could or could not eat. Reading what others write about tolerances MEANS NOTHING. Everyone is different. For example, I've NEVER had a single issue eating pepperoni pizza after my gallbladder was removed. Not one issue. However, the first 9 months afterward I could not tolerate ANY milk, butter, sour cream, or yogurt. But all cheese were never a problem. Chocolate has ALWAYS been a bad call since the gallbladder was removed. It ALWAYS causes discomfort. However, knowing this small doses of chocolate can be fine. I've learned to live with the gas and discomfort when it's mild and as long as I don't eat too much chocolate, I'm fine. A bite here or there is okay. A full size candy bar.. .well.. there better be a bathroom nearby in 20-30 minutes.

Other things people tell you to avoid may make no sense as well. I don't really have an issue with deep fried foods or "greasy" foods. My issues are more around some spices, or even greens. Lettuce is iffy for me. Iceberg lettuce is typically bad, but romaine or green leaf can be okay in small amounts. Fruit juices will cause me discomfort, as will some fruits. I love apples, grapes, and pears. Again, knowing HOW MUCH I can eat is the key. Half an apple or pear and only a handful of grapes. Otherwise there's discomfort.

In short, eat what you traditionally would eat. But eat SLOWER -- Like take three bites and wait 10 minutes. You'll feel the discomfort setting in if you've made a bad call. So don't eat any more. That's how I treat most things unless I know I'm either okay with something or something is on my blacklist.

Two years later I've found I can drink ONE brand of milk... don't know why. I tied everything from whole, 2%, lactose free, skim, almond, hazelnut, cashew, flaxseed, 1% -- all were bad. But I finally found 1 brand of 2% milk I'm fine with. Don't know why this one brand is okay with my gut, but it is. And I've learned to use butter sparingly and use the reduced fat butters. That generally means it's okay. Ghee butter is better on the gut if it can be found.

There are other things I KNOW I can't eat.. Pop Tarts, Fritos chips (actually most chips). So generally I eat those once and that's it.. never again.

Just experiment. Worst case is you're going to feel bloated and gassy for a while. That's why you should eat slow.. to minimize that if it is going to occur.