I am 4 months gall bladder post op. My doctor said it will be 4-6 months to start feeling better. I have had constant nausea. SOME days are good while others are bad. A friend said it took her ALL most a year to feel better. I can eat anything, some greasy food but not too spicy. I have not thrown up, just feels like I have to.

Anyone else have this?

It has been almost 4 weeks since I had my gallbladder removed and I too have constant nausea along with a flare up of acid reflux. My GI doctor has ordered a CAT scan and changed my acid reflux med to see if it helps. I too have had friends say it has taken 9 months to a year to feel better but my GI says this is not normal. I hope you find relief soon.

5/3/07,
I had my gall bladder out in January of this year, 3 months ago and my gerd and nausea have been persistent. I had an mrcp and an ct done to see if any problems with the surgery. Everything was normal, now I am going next week for Bravo PH test to see if my acid reflux is damaging and how bad it is. My nausea and gerd are driving me crazy, which now I think is making my IBS act up. I just want to feel better so badly, my blood work all came back normal also. Any thoughts from anyone......

I am 10 days post gall bladder surgery. I was doing great until the 4th day when I awoke with severe nausea and heartburn. This has not gotten any better, and now I have bouts of lightheadedness. This could be due to not eating but is a bit scary. I am taking Prilosec and Carafate which is barely managing the problem. Tomorrow I am scheduled for an EGD. I have been searching the internet to see if this is a more common problem than reported. I was told by my friends, surgeon, and GI that this surgery was a "piece of cake" and that I would be great in a week. I am worse now than ever. Anyone else suffering? Anyone have this in the beginning? Anyone have this eventually resolve? I keep hoping that my digestive system is just adjusting but I have my doubts after reading posts from others.

Well, I had mine out almost 3 years ago. I rarely get nauseous, but I have been tired/fatigued ever sense. I've tried to get back into working out, but I never have any energy. I feel like I've gotten no sleep in months and feel like I weigh about 300 lbs (I'm 5'5" and 162).

Thanks all...
You have helped me remain positive. I am nauseated WITH my gall bladder and will flush til it's right. I guess there is no point removing it. Sometimes it just does not work... which means maybe it is your digestion. And so that means..... the liver still needs cleaning and is clogged. So flushing would help you also. Plus I am assuming they have given you OX BILE to help with your issues to digest. YES?

I guess I would have wanted to SEE my gall bladder to see how bad it was. But I bet they do not do that.

Yes I had gall bladder surgery On January 24th and 4 days later I was throwing up and my acid reflux has been horrible. I have had every test under the sun done and everything is normal except my acid reflux is really bad. My nausea is better, I am not throwing up anymore, but I did loose 25 lbs. I see my doctor on monday to see about a surgery for acid reflux. I am not thrilled at all about that one. But he did tell me it really has not been that long since my gall bladder surgery for my system to adjust. It sounds funny but after reading all of these people it makes more and more sense. When I had the bravo test done this week and had to be off of ppi's for 5 days I actually felt better ....go figure...I will have results of everything monday. Good Luck to everyone, maybe it just takes time for some of us to adjust to an organ being gone......

I had my gall bladder removed over three months ago, and I, too, am still suffering from nausea. Nausea, by the way, was my main symptom before I found out that I had a diseased gall bladder. I thought all the nausea would disappear after having the surgery but I was wrong. I have some good days but the nausea always starts to creep back in after a few days. I am hoping to hear from someone who had this same problem but after time it went away. I get very depressed when I feel this way, because I feel like it will be this way for the rest of my life. I have had every other test done and everything is normal. I'm hoping it's just my body trying to readjust, but no doctor will admit this for some reason. I relate mostly to dannyj, seems like I have all of the same symptoms. Now that it's been a few more months, dannyj, have you started feeling better?

Hey, your problem before sounds like mine, mostly nausea and some acid problems, very little pain, I think in all of this i had 2 days of noticeable pain. I did lose 10 lbs from nausea and I dont need to lose weight. I am concerned about having gallbladder taken out from reading these post. (i have injection fraction of 28%) I want it to go away, not get worse.

It takes on average 3-6 months to return to normal function.

Ejection fraction is how well your gallbladder ejects the bile to help digest.....significant decreases indicate a stone or sludge meaning it needs to be removed. After surgery, you must realize that you have significant;y altered the normal process! It takes time for your body to readjust to the changes. Things that may help include aciphex or live and active culture foods.

Other than that, removal (cholecystectomy) is a cure, not a miracle, immediate cure. Fixing anything in your body that is broken/malfunctioning takes time to repair (ie bone break, large cut, etc). Don't expect immediate resolution of any problem - but don't hesitate to fix the underlying problem and have a (VERY GOOD) chance at recovery - even if the recovery is not immediate.

Also, note that there are many post starting a few weeks after surgery and they scare you, etc....but after several months (ie the recommended 3-6 months needed) there are VERY FEW follow up complaints of non-resolution. I would think these people would follow up if they were still having such problems after the time that is allowed for GI healing!

I know its not what everyone wants to hear, but this is an injury that does not always have an immediate cure after surgery. Its frustrating, but have hope that I have RARELY seen an individual after 6 months still have persistent problems.

I hope thins helps!

I had my GB removed 5 years ago after experiencing systematically increasing nausea for about 10 months prior to the operation. Post op, I was nauseated constantly for 2 years and then things finally started to get better. Over the next 2 years the nausea slowly dissipated to a frequency of several times a week for several hours at a time. In the last year, the nausea is much less frequent, but I still have bouts that sometimes last for days. So much for an easy surgery and recovery. I've read that about 2% of people suffer from prolonged or permanent symptoms. I've been test thoroughly and the test are all normal. I'm hoping that as time goes on it will become less of an issue.

yes i have this and its been over a year... i hate eating even the least lil bit b/c it makes me bloat and feel sick.. after i eat i go lay down b/c i feel so sick.. but i dont know why

I had my gallbladder removed 12/21/07 and before that I couldnt eat anything at all!!! Since then I am still nauseated all the time I dont throw up but feel like I have to and I have anti naseua medicine. In Dec I weighed 208lbs now since the surgery I weigh 154lbs. I have some good days and some bad days. I have gone to a gastroentrologist and hes done the endo scopy which came back normal and then i was stillsick so he did an ERCP and he showed that I had a bile obtructions that was on june21st since then i have done great havent lost any weight or anything but now im back to getting nauseated all over again. I get terrible gas and take phazym constantly all day. I went an bought some enzymes thinkg tht will help. I have exhausted all avenues and have no clue as to what my next options. I am tired of being sick and not being able to live a normal life!! How long will this go on? Please anybody help me I really cant go on like this.

I had my GB removed on 1 November 07. Prior to surgery I experienced 2 mounths of nausea, increasing with time, plus RUQ pain. After surgery the nausea continuesd with the RUQ pain plus abdominal pain, right flank pain and neck pain. Post op I have had MRI's, CAT scans, and extensive blood work.. All unremarkable, except I am B12 deficient, which is good to know. The B12 shots have not changed my condition, however. In June I started developing GERD, with pain in my sternum. I do have an hiatal hernia. The GERD got worse with increasing chest pain, plus throat pain. My GI doc sent me twice to the ER for heart problems. I had a stress test with an echo sonogram, quite normal. So, I have decided to go to John Hopkins and seek the best. The GI doc there suspects Bile reflux, which my reasearch indicates makes sense. I will be a lab rat there for many weeks, which is fine by me. I need to do this for my family and myself. However, I am not that oppitmistic. I think for some, it just takes time. Maybe a lot of time.

From reading several posts it appears that nausea after gall bladder surgery is a common thing. I am correct?

I am 6 weeks post op and still havin nausea primarily when I first get out of bed in the morning.

Any suggestions from anybody?