I had my gallbladder removed about a week and a half ago, on 5/14/08. It was done laproscopically, and my incisions are healing fine, but just recently (within a couple of days), I've had back pain. It's like my mid to upper back, kind of where my gallbladder used to be. The first couple days after surgery I had pain in my shoulder, but I was told this was from the gas that was used in my abdomen during surgery, and it went away after a few hours. I've never really had back pain, other than from minor things like sleeping the wrong way, so I'm not really sure if it's related to my surgery.

I've been keeping my activity level pretty minimal (before my surgery I was working out a minimum of 4x per week), so I don't really think it could be muscle strain, but I'm not sure, since I've never had any back trouble in the past. I've mainly just been doing housecleaning and grocery shopping. And I also haven't been lifting anything over 20lbs. (per instructions of the surgeon that performed my surgery).

Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Is this normal after gallbladder surgery? Could I be overdoing it with the physical activity? I'm just not sure if I should be worried or not at this point. Any advice/experiences is greatly appreciated!

Katie

I have this same issue. My gallbladder was taken out exactly one week ago. I am having back pain on my right side and it seems to go through to my abdomen on the same side. I have this crampy feeling in my abdomen, as if it is a muscle cramp that needs to be stretched or massaged out, but it stays no matter what. I told my doc about it yesterday and she thought that maybe the surgeon left a gallstone in my bile duct. I went for a MRCP (MRI that focuses on abdomen area) and liver function tests today. Hopefully they will be able to tell my doc exactly whats going on. She says that I should not be having back pain after gallbladder removal. She is a gastroenterologist, so it is her specialty.

I am going through the same thing did you ever find out what was causing the back pain I have been working two jobs and walking back and forth to work since two days after sugery and was doing great then all of a sudden exactly one week later I started having alot of pain in my upper backm theat radiates to the front where my gall bladder used to be ... I hurt all the time now and cant hardly sleep I am searching for relief. Also it seems to be very difficult to take deep breaths... any help would be great the dr just says that as long as i dont start running a fever not to worry

Hi - I had my gall bladder out 3 days ago. I wounds are healing fine but the back pain in EXCRUCIATING!!! Has anyone found that its subsides as time goes by? Thanks

Pain 3 days post op is not unusual. I would use whatever pain meds they gave because the you are just expereinceing post operative pain and might for awhile. I am 5 weeks post op and back pain just started up which is distressing. If you pain persists for a long period you should definitely let you doctor know--it could indicate complications. If you have fever nausea or vomiting also call doctor immediately

I had my gallbladder removed last Wednesday (July 1, 2009) and have had back pain since then. I thought at first it was the gas left in my body as they would tell you but it is still there. A few days after the surgery I had severe pain in my right shoulder and could barely move it. Again, I was told that it was the gas left in my body. The pain in my back didn't go away completely but it wasn't too bad except when I woke up today. There's this pain on my right side around where the gallbladder would be located. I'm not sure if I overworked myself or it was the way I slept last night (I did try to sleep on my side and my stomach for a little bit just to get comfortable).

I am not taking the Percocet that was prescribed because all it does is make me nauseous. My Mom (a nurse) gave me a Vicodin to try to alleviate the pain but it kept me awake all night. Tylenol is tolerable but doesn't really kill the pain.

Is there something I can do to get rid of this annoying pain?

I wish I had a good answer guys. . I am almost 12 weeks post op. I have had constant back pain since my removal on May 21st. I just wish it would go away. Some days are better than others but it's always there. I am also suffering with nausea. I am scared to eat, scared to leave the house. It really is awful! I would love to hear from someone who had these symptoms as well but they cleared up. Not knowing how long I'll be like this sucks!!!! Good luck everyone!

I am 5 weeks post op and have felt the same way that a lot of you are feeling. The pain was so bad last week that I had to go to the ER, where they ran a HIDA scan, ultrasound and blood work. Everything came back normal and they discharged me with a prescription of Vicodin (which doesn't really take the pain away, just dulls it). I have talked to my surgeon and my GI which both tell me that the recovery time is different for everyone. Both of them say that it takes longer for some people to heal. My GI told me that it could also be PCS (Post Cholecystectomy Syndrome) and he is running some more blood test and sending me for another ultrasound since it is almost approaching 6 weeks.

I have found that my pain gets worst with large meals, fatty meals or if I am overly tired so I have started to eat a low-fat diet. I don't know if a low fat diet would work for anyone else but it's worth a try. Hope this helps! If anyone else has some suggestions, please let me know!

Had laparoscopic cholecystectomy preformed 7 days ago. I too have had pain in my right side, radiating from right side abdominal incision extending to mid to lower back for 5 days now. The pain fluctuates from mild to moderate, present at rest also. I cannot sleep on my right side either. At times I wake up with the discomfort. I haven’t seen my surgeon yet for my post op follow up visit, doesn’t want to see me until 14 days post op. Is this pain not uncommon? Has it been associated with any post op complications that require additional medical attention? Glad others have shared their experiences with this.

I'm not sure why you got this back pain after your gallbladder removal. What did the doctor say ?

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I had GB and liver mass removed in April and had the same pain in back beside shoulderblade and in location of where GB was. I saw several doctors, had tests, all was fine. the surgeon and GI specialist who also teaches at a med school assoc. with a major med center said a large percentage of post op GB pts get this pain and they dont know why or what to do about it. I drove 4 hours to go to a better hospital and get more state of the art care than is available locally. My back pain recurs every now and then but it is not persistent. Phantom GB pain also every now and then. My worst problem is gastric burning, have had tests, all is fine. One doctor suggested bile reflux, local GI doctor said it is hard to diagnose and harders to treat then backed out of the room saying double your NExium which does not even touch the burning. And they wonder why we run to a larger city when we have ongoing problems!

Anyway, the bottom line from a GI specialist and professor is there is no answer nor cure. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I had my surgery nov. 6, the open one, and just got my staples out. I had back pain all week, but have been slightly stretching and it seams to really help, it's all this sitting I think that made my back start hurting

try taking diloteds, thats the only thing that works for me, but only take them when you need them as they are quite addictive

Everyone with back pain and shoulder pain. I had my sugary 2 days ago and I hate this feeling I just want to feel normal. Can anyone blame me but as for the pain go out and buy a heat pad. U don't need a every big one but when ur shoulder starts to hurt lay on the heat pad for 20min and the pain will go away as well as for your back. Also move around as much as you can take a 5 min walk around ur house the will help with the pain and gas.

Best of luck I understand where ur coming from

My surgery was on Sept 14, 2010. I had the normal gas and incision pain which was controlled with hydrocodone/apap, however, just a couple of days ago when I was feeling somewhat normal again I developed severe left low back pain which is not relieved with pain meds. I have alternated with a heating pad and ice pack for most of today. Nothing seems to work. I do think I feel some slight swelling near the left lumbar spine area. I am wondering if it is due to all the sitting and laying around for the past week. I am due to go back to work tomorrow, I am a nurse in a clinic, and will have access to an ER doc as well as surgeons. I am hoping they will be able to tell me. This ER doc is sharp, so I am hoping she can figure it out. And the surgeons do many lap choles. Maybe they have seen this before. I am sure no stones were left in the duct, as I saw 2 stones on the ultrasound and the surgeon removed 2. My son who is in the medical field thinks it is deferred pain. But I am not sure about that one. If that is the case, all should be well soon. But until then I will continue to check back with this post to see if anyone out there is experiencing the same thing or better yet, had it and was able to find out cause and cure. Thanks for any input I receive.