This post is an extension of the

What life is like after gallbladder removal... thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

I had my gall bladder removed a week ago. I received relatively no post op instructions and was released early against my wishes in spite of a 101 fever and lack of bowel movement. In my case U had thought gall bladder attacks were infections. In a way they were. Apparently every time I threw a gall stone I was getting pancreatitis as well.

The doctrs had to wait for the pancreatitis to heal (No food or water by mouth for five days, just IV and lots of morphine and antibiotics)

I wandered into solid foods way too soon. If a nurse asks you if you'd like to try solid food before you have tried clears, tell them no. If you eat solid food and don't vomit it up they will consider you ready to go home.

As with normal cases of gall bladder removal I've had a lot of gas, cramping, constipation, and diarrhea. I've had problems with bloating as well and it has been hard to pass BMs or release gas.

I have found a few solutions that may help others in recovery. For the feeling of bloatedness and parts 'hanging out' I found wrapping an ace bandage around the areas that hurt when I lay down keep those organs in place and stops the pain. It also seems to help move the gas down when wrapped around the upper abdomen.

I have been taking a stoll softener with DOcusate Calcium 240 mg daily. This helps.

Also cramps in my lower intestine have been helped by wrapping an ice pack in a towel and applying it to the cramping and sore area. It causes the swelling to go down and the gas responds to cold by shrinking. This makes it much easier to pass gas and have easier bowel movements.

I switched to liquids and clears for a few days then slowly worked up to more solid food. Walking walking walking helps move that gas after the lacroscopy. I can not eat anywhere near the amount of food I ded prior to the surgery (Not suprising) so I am concentrating on high protein low fat foods. An interesting food I can eat only once a day (Dairy can cause gas in excess with me) Is 1 to 2 srvings of half a cup of no fat cottage cheese. I add fruit to the cottage cheest. Citrus or peaches. The cottafe cheese is no fat and half a cup is around 15% your daily need of protien. The citrus acid starts digesting the milk product in your stomach and seems to help with the gas as well.

As far as being exhausted and light headed... since my surgery my high blood pressure has diminished greatly and I am unable to ake my BP mds without pulling my diastolic down to 55 or 60 making me feel light headed and faint. I suspected this might be the cause of might light headedness so purchased a blood pressure cuff and checked it randomly as well as when I felt faint. It is definitely my BP.

Also, eating a yogurt a day with biffidus regularis bacteria has been hlping wth difestion and passing.

So... I eat about six to eight small meals a day right now and things are -starting- to get better. I have no illusions that I won't have problems in the future. I am just trying to adapt as best I can.

Hopefully some of the successful things I have experimented with will help.

The ace bandage while sleeping works -wonders-

Hi I just had my GB removed 1 26 09. ive been having pains beginning November and they came back every month for about 5 days. i went to the er a second time and was diagnosed with pancretitis and gallstone attack. i could not eat or drink for 6 days and on the 6th day the gb was removed. i feel alot better now. its been 2 days and the soreness is lessening. ive been cautious about what i eat but things look on the up and up from this point.

one word of caution. i think the last onset of pain was caused because i tried a gb "flush" using Epsom salt. that was a bad thing to do because the ut scan showed a gallstone lodged in the entrance of the gb and duct.
so be careful of what you read on the internet.

leave the work to those who are trained.

Hello All,

I had my Gall Bladder removed about 4 years ago and do believe your life after it has been removed does depend on the person and your diet. I just happen to be one of the unlucky ones that have to deal with the diarrhea and heartburn. It’s good to know that I am not alone with my discomfort. In the past 4 years I have adjusted my diet several different times to see what would work the best to help control the problem and have found that red meats, spices and dairy will make it worse. If you increase your fiber intake and get more fruits and vegetables it will help control the run to the bathroom although it doesn’t bring your movements back to normal, you will still get that sudden run from time to time. The only other side affect I blame on the Gall Bladder removal is that now I have high cholesterol, I am 47 - 5’7’’ – 140Lbs and active so the weight isn’t the cause and since the removal I live on Fish, Poultry, Fruits and vegetables, so I don’t think the diet is the cause either.
Would I do it again knowing what I know now? When I think back to being up all night with the pain thinking I was having a Heart Attack, the answer would have to be YES!
My problem does interfere with my life and my work but I would much rather put up with the bathroom trips then be in severe pain.
Just learn what works for you and keep your chin up.
SFT :-)

I had my gall bladder removed on 2/12/09 after being sick for 2 months. My first meal that night was liquids and the hospital breakfast the next am was oatmeal, pancakes, sausage, oj, coffee, milk. I only ate 1 pancake and drank the milk.

At about 11 days post op I feel sooooo much better. I am eating smaller meals. Not sure if it's because I went for so long not being able to eat much or if it's because i just get full sooner, but no big deal. I am concerned a little about the amount of diarrhea I've been having, but the doctor said today that it can take up to a month for the digestive system to regulate itself -- so I'll take a wait and see approach.

its weird I had my surgery on may 2 weeks ago i ws fine from the time I got out of the hospital till 2 days ago im on aciphx for acid in tummy every morning i take one but now every meal where I eat im sick to my stomach and end up taking a few bites I try to eat packs of crackers and smll snacks through out the day, today im making a appt to see the gastro dr and see why im back to being sick to my stomach every time I eat right after blah i feel like im going to vomit so im losing weigh food doesnt look good to me im back to being at square one the reason i had my gall bladder taken out to begin with I want to so much to be the healthy active wife. mom person I was several months ago

39 year old male here. I had my gallbadder removed yesterday (10Apr09). Went into surgery at 0930, woke up at 1100, wife and I drove away from the hospital at 1230. Was told to eat light things (broth based soup, jello, pudding, toast, etc.) for the first couple days. Had some chicken noodle soup and toast in the afternoon and felt perfectly fine. This morning, I had scrambled eggs and toast, again no problems. Hopefully it continues on this track because I haven't had any discomfort (other than the normal pain and such you would expect after surgery).

I have been reading a lot of the posts about how people are having trouble with digestion and such after this type of surgery and I have come to the conclusion that most people are only posting when they have issues. I believe that the majority of people who have this surgery are fine and have no issues, therefore they don't come to these types of websites and post anything. So basically, the posts you are reading are mostly by the small percentage of people who are having issues and looking for relief. I am NOT bashing people who are posting about their issues here. I just want people who are planning on having this surgery to know that most people don't have major issues after this surgery.

I just went through and read quite a few posts of experiences that some people have after surgery. I am 22 and have been having extreme pain since I was 16, but never made the connection until a few weeks ago when my sister found out she had to have her gallbladder removed. She had hers out 5 days ago and has had no problems what-so-ever.

I had my ultrasound last monday and when I went back to see my doctor on thursday he said my gallbladder was terrible. He said it was full of stones, contracted, and the wall was thickened. He told me any one of those three things are enough to need surgery. I go back Thursday to find out when my surgery will be done. I will be sure to post the after effects after it is done!

I am updating from my previous post made on 5/11/09. I finally had my gallbladder removed yesterday 6/12. I found out after my surgery that my gallbladder was jam-packed full of stones and there was water all around it as well as inflamation. The surgeon had a difficult time burning it off of my liver because of this and had to cut my incision below my belly botton a bit longer than usual. Despite the trouble, I was in the recovery room for about 45 minutes...made it back to same day room where I immediately ate toast, drank my juice and used the bathroom like they wanted me to and was released as soon as I did that. I've had quite a bit of soreness especially trying to stand up. Laughing and coughing is extremely painful, but I expect that to stop in the next couple of days. I have not been sick at all just tired (which I attribute to the pain meds :-)) lol. Hopefully the rest of my recovery goes as well as it has so far :-)

Successful Laparoscopic Gallbladder removal.

It's 11 days since I went in for outpatient Gallbladder removal and I'm feeling great. Surgery went well and I left the Outpatient Center 90 minutes after the surgery was completed. For the next 12 hours after getting home I ate little, just some frozen yogurt and drank plenty of fluids and fell asleep thanks to the Vicodin. By the next morning I was eating toast and had coffee. For lunch and dinner I had a sandwich and fruit. I was walking around the house as well as outside just trying to move as much as possible. Rested quite a bit and by the 2nd day home I was off the Vicodin except when I went to sleep and had my first BM. Ate everything as I normally do and took fiber to ease the stools.

On the 3rd day no Vicodin, even at bedtime. I took a long walk at the park and yes I was sore but the pain was slight compared to the first few days. I continued to eat my normal foods and even had taco's. From the 4th day on I'm better everyday and for the past 3 days I have hike 3 1/2 miles daily without any problems. Celebrated my birthday with a great dinner out (ribs and lamb) and even had a few beers

I see the doctor for my follow up visit tomorrow. The doctor in my case will get a big thank you for the surgery results.

I had my GB removed on friday 10-02-09 i feel good just taking tylenol not the vicodin they prescribed me! I did have an episode the day i got released because the dumb nurse gave me a vicodin in an empty stomach the ER, dr told me it was normal to throw up because the medicine is very strong and i had nothing in my stomach. i been active since after the day i had the surgery. the incision on my side is itching a bit and the one from my belly button but besides that i feel great. I been eating light food, broth toast apple juice.

I had my gallbladder removed Thursday 10/1/09. I had only had my first attack about a month and a half before the day of my surgery but realized how painful it was. I had to go to the dr. and had an ultra sound and it showed that i had multiple gall stones with shatering? I'm 21, I weigh 135lbs, I eat generally really healthy and I've never had kids, so my referred surgeon was pretty surprised when he met me and read my chart. However, gallstones is extremely hereditary in my family (which I found out after all the attacks). I've been really worried because of all the terrible post surgery stories I've been hearing on here, everyones pain and suffering and weight gain and what not, but it's been about 2 1/2 days for me, I feel much better than I did when I actually had my gallbladder. I've been eating smaller meals as I haven't been as hungry as before. My dr. also told me to take Colace because the narcotic's for pain cause constipation, which I've been taking with every meal and I haven't been having that much of problems. The first day I ate ginger-ale an crackers, the 2nd day I ate ginger-ale, crackers, and organic fruit salad. Today I had some organic vegetable soup, a glutten free vegie burger on toasted organic flax & grain bread, with a small amount of low-fat ranch dressing and some organic baby greens (really yummy) along with some snacks of fruit, and some vitamin water. I've also been taking flax-seed oil supplements and I haven't taken the narcotics today because I don't feel I need them because the pain isn't really that bad. The only problem I'm having right now is sitting up for long periods of time because when I stand up after that the pain in the wounds hurt, other than that so far, so good. I'm still taking my anti-inflamatories because I can see when they run out when my tummy starts to swell around the cuts a bit but that's normal. Just wanted to share my experience because i've only seen everyone's bad experiences and that really freaked me out, hopefully this helps some people out in not being too fearful of the surgery. :-)

I had my gallbladder removed on 10/6/09. For 2 years I had been suffering from indigestion, acid reflux and an intolerance to fatty and rich, creamy foods. In September, I started to feel nauseas constantly. I got to where I could not eat at all. I'm a heavy set woman and lost 30 pounds in a month. I didn't know what was wrong with me and I all I could think that it would be was the gastroparesis I had recently been diagnosed with. This diagnosis confused me because I was not suffering any of the symptoms that I read about on the internet. No nausea (up until this point), no vomitting...only a heavy feeling in the middle of the night if I ate too much. My doctor performed a gastric emptying study on said that I had "severe" gastroparesis and that I needed to take Reglan. Reglan is a very controversial medicine and I was horrified. I thought "if I only have this heavy feeling when I overeat, why do I have to take this life-altering medication?" So, I didn't take it. Back to September....I'm figuring that the nausea is probably the gastroparesis worsening and I get extremely depressed at the thought of starting Reglan. Then the diarrhea comes. Everything I ate made me have it and there was lots of mucous and oil in it. I was horrified. I thought for sure that at 34 years old I was growing to have a horrible illness or worse yet, some form of cancer. Finally, after I started getting on these forums I found information on gallbladder disease. I went to the Emergency Room after a horrible bout of nausea. They did an ultrasound and found that I had stones as well as a fatty liver. They said I didn't have any blockage and to follow up with a surgeon in 2 weeks. I was devestated as I desperately needed to get back to work and my life. The nausea was interfering with both and I am highly tolerant of pain. The next day I went back to the ER determined that I was going to get help. Again...they said no blockage...go home. 3 days later I went to my Gastroenterologist who requested my ER records. When she read the results she said that I needed to go to surgery right away because my common bile duct was dialated 2 cm. She said that I would have to have an ERCP first to clear out the stone that was dialating the duct. I was scared to death. That night I was admitted in the hospital and the next day ERCP was performed. This was a very awkward procedure and despite anesthesia I woke up 3 times in the middle of it. When I was returned to my room after the ERCP I started to have a slight stomach ache that within 5 minuted turned into the worst pain I have ever felt. My Dr. had dug around in my pancreatic duct because they couldn't find the stone in my gallbladder and I had developed pancreatitis. Knowing that this could be fatal I had a full on anxiety attack. All food was taken away from me for 3 days and I was given pain medicine. Within 3 days my enzymes were back to normal and I was ready for gallbladder surgery. I had an excellent surgeon and my gallbladder was removed with no surgery complications. I stayed in the hospital 2 more days and then went home. From the day I was home I was still just as nauseas as I was before surgery and was still foggy headed and extremely exhausted. I thought for sure that the surgery was a mistake and that this was not a gallbladder problem to begin with. I cried all the time and swore once again that I was dying of some horrible disease. Unfortunately, I tend to think the worst. I read everywhere how people were all better after 2 days. Well, I wasn't and I was worried. After a week and 2 days, the nausea went away...but I was still exhausted. I went back to work and worried everyday that I would just collapse. My legs shook if I stood too long and I was just sick of it. After 2 weeks the legs stopped shaking and I was able to do small chores and my head began to clear. I still have diarrhea but ONLY when I eat unhealthy foods. Despite what your doctor says, you can't return to a normal diet and shouldn't. You should NOT eat fast food or anything greasy or fatty. Also, avoid chocolate and caffeine. Remember that you will have bile constantly dripping into your intestines now. You will want that bile to be as clean as possible. If I eat right...lots of fiber and vegetables and fruit I don't have diarrhea. Also, some more good news...I don't have that heavy feeling when I eat anymore that was attributed to gastroparesis. I think all of my problems were related to gallbladder to begin with! I went to a new GI doctor and found that I had been misdiagnosed.

So, after all of this I am ok. I felt the obligation to tell my story to help people who are just like me. Health anxiety is gripping and can make you feel very lonely. Reading stories in these forums does not help because they are usually negative. But remember, the success stories are rarely on here because those people are out living life. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since gallbladder surgery and I have my life back. No more nausea, no more foggy head, no more shaky legs. It's scary to think of surgery but sometimes ya have to bite the bullet and go for it to feel better. This surgery has been a positive thing for me. I have gone from 363 pounds to 288 and still counting. Food is the enemy and I have learned to conquer it. Please watch what you eat. I have learned to because I will not let food kill me. Thank you for reading. I hope this helps at least one person.

Had gallbladder removed 29th Oct......now 4 days later acidy and sore and have an infection but nothing compared to the pain and sleepless nights before was worse than labour .......spent a couple of nights doubled up on the floor. Recovery is different for everyone !!! But even after this short time i will never look back. XD

Had my Gallbladder removed 3 months ago, it was one of the best things I have ever done. I suffered with stomach problems for years, even lost 18" of my large intestine due to perferated Diverticulitus a few years back. I was always suffering from acid reflux, sour stomach, diarreah, gas pains and the worst abdominal pains one can imagine. Spent many hours in the ER thinking I was having heart attacks. It's been 3 months since i had the Gallbladder removed. The first month; admittedly was hard... Suffered with "Phantom pains", lack of appetite and lose bowels. Now, at 3 months things are great! No more discomfort or pain. I am back to eating a normal diet and my bowels are solid. I have read alot of the posts on this topic and it's just depressing. I feel so fortunate that things have worked out for me the way they have. I hopefully, can offer someone a little bit of hope! Read this message and know that there can be good to come out of this. And you do have a chance at a new beginning! Oh and by the way, I feel great and have lost weight!