Since I had my gallbladder removed in July last year and gallstones removed from the bile duct, I had to be admitted on a further two occasions because there was a tear int he bile duct and the bile was leaking into my stomach. When this was finally diagnosed, the bile was drained away over a period of a few days. Since the operation, I have put on a lot of weight even tho' I am eating more healthily and exercising more.

I have tried cutting down on my food intake but have still not lost the weight. I am 68 Kgs (10 stone 9 lbs) and am 5ft 2 inches tall.

Can you suggest a reason for the weight gain and is it related to the oepration?

Yes, weight gain after gallbladder removal surgery can definitely be related to the surgery/loss of your gallbladder itself, even if you religiously stick to the gallbladder removal diet you will have discussed with your doctor. 

Reasons include:

* A changed metabolism due to the loss of your gallbladder

* Inflammation in your body because of the surgery

* Insulin resistance

I would not continue to try to figure this out yourself. Of course, eat right, and engage in physical activity. But also see your doctor to assess the cause of your weight gain and ask for supplements to help your digestion of fat along.

Hi - I had my gallbladder removed in May due to a polyp. All went well, feel great now and pain-free BUT I'm putting on weight like never before! Can't understand why - continue to eat a healthy diet as always and have even joined a gym, going every other day. Still the weight creeps up, now 6lbs more. I'm still a healthy weight for my height, but hate this constant gaining.

I have gained weight since my gb operation 2 years ago. As the others say I do not eat a lot and am careful of what I eat. I also still have nausea and some pain on the right side. I did not have the 'easy' operation .

Hi I hadmy gb removed in september 06
and still have the same pain and have gain soooooo
much weight I look 6 months pregnant.
what causes this to happen andc what can I do?

Hi , My name is suzanne and I had my gallbladder out last July.

I'm gaining weight and I don't know what to do........Help

The gallbladder is involved in digesting fats, so when removed the digestion of fats is not as good as before because there is a steady stream of bile going from Liver to the small intestines instead of the amount the gall bladder would release when you ate a fatty meal. People believe fats make you fat, but this is untrue, good fats actually help your body be able to burn the "bad" fats collecting on your thighs etc.... and because you are not digesting fat as well as before you are also not getting the same amount of good fats that your body needs for good health. So this isn't a gurantee but try taking some bile salts (maybe available at a pharmacy) to help the digestion of fats and taking extra omega fats like flax seed or eating more salmon....maybe this could help???

I am starting to get a little worried with all these problems with gallbladder removal. I begain to have pain in october 06 and was not diagnosed until jan07, had my gallbladder out april 07, I lost about 45lbs before the surgery because fear of eating. After the surgery I have lost about 12 lbs already, I couldn't gain weight if I wanted too, I had a lot of acid reflux though sometimes to the point of vomiting, but no other symptons, am i in for a long haul ahead of me.

From what i have read anyone who has lost weight cant seem and gain and the opposite for the people that gain weight cant seem to lose. I just dont want to go back to the attacks, they were brutal, cant go through that again.

Look, here's how you handle not having a gallbladder.

What does not having a gallbladder mean? It essentially means:-
a) that your body is now unable to emulsify fats as well as it did previous to your surgery.
b) that you will have a steady trickle of bile which is roughly 8 times weaker than other peoples' running through your small intestine.
c) that the pH of your digestive tract will become more acidic (bile is an alkaline substance), altering the balance of your intestinal flora.

This is why after having their gallbladder removed, people suffer from diverticulitis, IBS, indigestion, reflux, nausea, ulcerative colitis and various other unpleasant illnesses. Together, the milder of these symptoms are known as post-cholecystectomy syndrome. Sadly, the current medical paradigm does not acknowledge the long-term negative effects of this surgery.

But, if you change one or two things in your lifestyle/diet, living without a gallbladder can be peachy:-
a) Start supplementing fish oil (as a poster above suggested) - you'll need to supplement a lot; 2g in the morning and 2g in the evening. If you have a heart problem, don't do this; at high doses fish oil has been known to f**k with the electrical impulses governing the heart muscle - talk to your doctor. Eating fish will not cut the cheese because you really need this fat now that it's even less bioavailable, and chances are you aren't going to want to eat fish every day.
b) 5 or more small meals per day. Don't binge, because you'll get sick, fat, or both. Also, leaving too long between your meals means that the bile which in now always (and I stress this), always running through your digestive tract, has time to irritate the walls of your intestines, meaning that when you do eat you'll have violent cramps and most likely diarrhea (in time your body will adjust). Healthy snacking will also help keep you from feeling like you need to binge eat at lunch or dinner time.
c) Don't sleep for too long. Many people have issues with retarded peristalsis after gallbladder removal, which means the food just sits there and doesn't move. This is bad for you. Max 8 hours, and try to be as active as possible.
d) Stop eating filth. Don't eat a salad covered in dressing and kid yourself it's healthy. Your small intestine needs to be treated very gently now; use your brain. You may find yourself unable to eat certain things now, it's different for everyone. No more fast food. Even if you're thin, it doesn't mean the fat is not building up inside you and poisoning/constricting your organs.
e) Probiotics. Not for everyone, but with the new digestive ratio that has been created in your guts you may find that these supplements offer relief from certain symptoms. If you're having problems with gas, diarrhea or bloating now, a regimen of probiotics may help. No, not yoghurt; many brands are little more than just sugar and milk. You may find that these bacteria will also help you break down certain foods that you are no longer capable of digesting effectively.
f) Fiber is important. It's even more important now. It won't prevent bowel cancer, that's a myth, but it will help your body to move food through your intestines and allow more efficient digestion of the nutrients you're (hopefully) getting from elsewhere in your diet. Don't eat too much - try to make sure you eat soluble fiber rather than wheat bran etc.

What I've written here is not for everyone, but I feel it's a rough guide for how to deal with what many people will be going through. I'm sick of reading about people having problems after gallbladder removal and seeming so lost, and worse, extremely sick. Good luck.

Hello, I had my gallbladder taken out 2 weeks ago. Prior to having it removed I couldn't eat much of anything. I felt terrible all the time and everything I ate made me sick. I lost 28 pounds prior to the removal. It's been 2 weeks now and I feel so much better with no gallbadder. Also, I am continuing to lose weight. I have made a lifestyle change since the surgery to not drink carbonated soda and I don't eat fatty, fried foods anymore. I have found I am not as hungry since the surgery. I try to not ever fill my stomach completely up when having a meal. I eat much smaller meals and feel GREAT!!!!

I had my gall bladder out Oct 2005 and slowly, I've managed to gain over 40 lbs. It seems everything I eat goes right through me and I feel nauseous at times. I'm at wits end!! Awhile ago I went on a hard core diet, went to the gym, the whole bit.......I gained a lb doing it.

I wish I saw this post after I had my gallbladder removed. After six years of not knowing what to do about extra pounds and bowel movements, I now have NAFLD. My doctor said it had some kind of connection to my gallbladder removal. Now I see what the connection was. :(

It's been a year since my gallbladder removal / bile leakage episode. I've gained 40 pounds and cannot lose it no matter what I do. Whatever I eat goes right through me. I cannot be far from the bathroom after a meal. Does anyone have any suggestions for someone like me? I'm at my wit's end. :'(

Hi everyone, I had my gallbladder removed Oct.06 and have gained 17lbs. since. Can anyone help me and explain this gb diet to me and does it really work.

Had my gallbladder out last year and lost 8 lbs immediately. Granted I weighed 128 before my surgery. I was a fat kid, and was heavy until about 10 years ago, when I dieted and lost it very rapidly. That is probably where I messed up my gallbladder. I believe that BEFORE gallbladder surgery we digest the fats LESS efficiently. Since the duct is blocked, the appropriate amounts of bile cannot get to your small intestine to break down the fat. And after the blockage (stones) is gone, the right amount of bile can finally get there. I have no problem keeping weight off now. It is the reverse for me. I suggest that you do try acupunture. I do see an acupunturist, because I STILL have the right shoulder blade pain. Acupunture works. Also up your fiber intake to 30 grams a day, it will help! I promise. As a note though. The day I stopped blaming my weight on things that were out of my control, and paid attention to what I was putting in my mouth, it came off. And yes I still have an overeater tendency, but I just am careful about what I eat, and don't eat when I am not hungry.