I just had my gallbladder removed yesterday. I am feeling better and for the first 24 hours I have followed my doctors orders on sticking to a strict liquid diet. Now that my 24 hrs. are up I am hungry but don't want to risk eating anything that might hurt me. What are some good things for me to eat?

Thanks

I just recently had my gallbladder removed on Sept 14. And have been in a lot of pain since. However, I am surprised at the lack of information to be found or given on what and when I should eat in order to get optimal recovery results. I thought the hospital would have a lot more information to give on this considering it's a a relatively known surgery.
I apologize that I have no more information than anyone else. But even before gallbladder surgery I found it hard to find information on proper diets to treat the stones and infection prior to treatment.
The nurse did mention that I could eat toast, scrambled eggs, soup, anything that wasn't a hard substance. I'd assume yogurt would fall into that category too since it's bacteria would probably help the healing process. I'm taking soup and real fruit juice popsicles as well as yogurt to start and then I think I'll slowly start adding new things to the basic itinary. But they also STATED to AVOID anything fatty. Nothing with lots of fat or natural fat and nothing that would be hard to chew or digest.
Becca Steps

I also recently had my gallbladder removed. I can still eat only soft foods like soup or yogurt, toast, cooked vegetables. I have experienced swallowing issues or a lump in my throat and severe acid reflux following a meal of turkey. I was surprised at how much discomfort I had from the small amount of white turkey meat. I may never eat it again. I now have an appointment to see a gastroenterologist for the swallowing issue. It has been three weeks since my surgery. :-(

I just got mine removed yesterday and not even a couple hours afterwards I was eating chicken fingers, fries, banana pudding, grits, cereal, ect... And I was just fine. I'm still fine.

I had my gall bladder removed two days ago. I ate mashed potatoes today and had the worst acid reflux i have ever had before. You would not think mashed potatoes do that.

A week ago I had my gall bladder takin out b/c it was dieseasd. I havent been healthy enough to eat normal foods for the last few months. I have experienced alot of pain discomfort, diareha. After a week Im still unable to eat normal and having the same issues as before . They did say NO fatty foods or gease, I can say thats true! last night i had the worst indijestion/heatburn from a pork chop ( i really dont know it thats what the pain was but it was HELL) literally felt like i was having a hear attack. So dont eat fatty foods or grease. Follow a bland or liqiud diet unless you enjoy feeling ill. :-(

I had my gallbladder out in December and still cannot eat normally. I agree that fat is a killer, but you would think a roll would be okay. I can double over with cramps from eating something that seems like it is pretty bland. I am learning that everything in the world I eat has some sort of fat. I can only eat fruit and some veggies. There is hardly any information out there about post surgery diet. My doctor told me next to nothing and I've been on my own with this. I wish someone would invent a pill to take for food so I could just forget it.

Hi - I had my gall bladder removed in June of this year, and have been in a constant flux about what I can or can't eat. Normal, non-fatty foods, such as bread, all dairy foods, red-meat etc., are off the menu, as I suffer acid-reflux and vomiting. I too, wish someome would issue a book or offer further information for those of us in this situation.

I had my gall bladder removed about two weeks ago. This was supposed to be outpatient surgery, but I had significant internal bleeding after the surgery and was admitted to the hospital for five days to stabilize my condition. After only two days at home, I ended up back in the hospital due to fever, chills, and extreme, localized, sharp abdominal pain. After four more days in the hospital, I'm finally home again and beginning to feel somewhat human. The hospital went from feeding me a clear-liquids diet to what they called low-fat soft diet, during which they served me large turkey sandwiches, broccoli, full chicken breasts, pasta with meat sauce, and even bacon! I only ate a few bites of some of the meats (not the bacon, obviously!!), and I felt soooooo sick and was in so much abdominal pain.
Now at home, I have much more control over what I'm eating: soy yogurt, pureed cooked rice, low-fat split-pea soup, soy puddings, pureed vegetables (no broccoli or other cabbage-related)- butternut squash is a good one--, and cooked fruits. I can also tolerate some gluten-free bread and am about to try some tofurky (vegetarian low-fat turkey substitute). Getting enough protein is an issue, so I'm basically relying on soy and other beans. Eggs have only been mildly successful.
Hope this is helpful to someone!

i had my gallbladder removed 2 weeks ago i been able to eat just about anything so far i do get diarrhea with some fatty foods yesterday i eat a kids meal from whataburger and about 30 Min's later i found myself in the restroom its not to bad since i would stay constipated before surgery so this is a change i have lost 10 pounds in a week (like that) i have a friend that cant eat salad at all. so I'm doing better now for about a week i have had a sharp stabbing pain in my right side under my ribs and back but i think i over did it at work when i went back i though i could just go back and do what i did before surgery Boy was i wrong .but try jello and stuff like that starting off that's what i did for a few days but like you all I'm still learning my doctor told me to eat anything i want so yea they don't tell you anything when your releast to go home. small meals is all i can eat now and use to be able to put some food away but now it don't take much to fill me up if i try to over eat my tummy starts to hurt at times i don't even feel hungry but i know i need to eat something are my blood sugar drops. but i wish you all luck i think we all are going to need it now .

Best of luck
Kathy

I had my gallblader taken out on Monday it is now Friday and I am fixing to leave for wk. I have eaten normally but I find it very difficult to eat more than a few bites. I am not in any pain but I think I am constipated and bloated. I am gonna go low fat from now on and smaller portions. I am hungry all the time so I think this will wk best for me. I am also upset that there is no set diet for after this surgery. I am gonna try a digestive supplement to help my body compensate for the loss of my gallblader. Well see how it goes. I wish you all luck I am sure we will need it.
Nancy

PS Just a side note I had blurry vision after the surgery I think it was the Anesthtic but it went away just so you know in case it happens to you.

I had My gallBladder removed 5 weeks ago. And I still find it hard to eat anything But toast eggs and bagels. Everything else ends up flushing out of me or make's me sick to my stomach, I have gone to the doc's 3 times since and they have done nothing nor given me a list of foods to eat. I have lost 7 pounds already. whice I don't mind but I'm not lossing them in a good way. I don't know what to do. My right side is still really sore. I can't sleep on my tummy or rt side yet. And if I do I'm in intense pain. It still hurts to take a deep breath. On top of all that I'm still having heart burn and my tummy aches.

Foods to Eat and Foods to Avoid after Gallbladder Removal

AVOID THESE: Red meat, margarine, fried food, spicy food and soft drinks should be eliminated completely.
Eat as little as possible pork, poultry, dairy, chocolate, and refined carbohydrates (no pastas, noodles, breads). Do not eat a lot of ice cream-this is high fat.
EAT THESE: Fruits, vegetables, best if they are raw for fiber to help.
Avocados, beets, cucumbers, sweet potatoes, grapes, apples, berries, artichokes if possible. These are best.
Eat flax seed oil, hemp seed oils as supplements or for salad dressings (not to cook with). Use olive oil.
Yogurt, fish, cottage cheese.
MORNING AND EVENING: Mix lemon juice with two tablespoons of olive oil in a glass of water and drink this in the morning and evening.
AFTER A FEW WEEKS EAT: whole grains, eggs and poultry and low fat milk.

If you eat high fat foods you will be running to the bathroom most likely.

I was just diagnosed with gallbladder disease and am going to be having surgery next week, and I have been researching and found that since after the gallbladder is removed you have to eat a low-fat diet, because the gallbladder is not there to help your body digest the fat. I have to admit that after reading your posts that I am now more nervous to have the surgery because most people still have pain after. I am still researching but I have found some helpful websites that tell you what foods to eat. I am currently experiencing pain, constipation, and vomiting. I have experienced some sexual side effects. I am going to pester my doctor until he can tell me something. Well good luck and be healthy. :-( !

I HAD MY GALLBLADDER REMOVED ON DEC 28, 09 AND I FEEL GREAT I AM EATING NORMAL FOODS WITH THE EXCEPTION OF FRIED FOODS, FAST FOODS, AND FATTY FOODS. I HAVE BEEN TESTING THE WATERS SO TO SPEAK ON WHAT MY STOMACH CAN HANDLE, I HAVE NOTICE THAT BROCOLLI IS A NO-NO FOR ME AND STEAK (MY FAVORITE) I CAN EAT IT, BUT I NEED TO BE CLOSE TO A BATHROOM!! I ALSO ATE A BANANA AND SOME LOW FAT YOGURT AND I HAD MILD STOMACH PAIN, AND GAS. SO I THINK IT JUST DEPENDS ON WHAT U CAN INTAKE. HOPE ALL GOES WELL WITH ANYONE WHO HAS HAD THEIR GALLBLADDER REMOVED!!

TMH