Hi Since my pregnancy about 2 years ago I have developed gastric problems I've never had before. epigastric intense pressure sometimes so bad it makes it hard for me to breath out I feel like somthing is blowing up inside me it radiates to the back & in my chest. Sometimes pain but not severe on the right side, lots of burping and now get nauseated here & there in the morning especially, Ultrasound of GB showed no stones, no obstruction, no thickening. Hida Scan showed Ejection Fraction of less then 5%. 1 doc says to take it out another says no that would be uneccessary surg, don't know what to do, do these symtoms sound like GB symtoms? And can u devolop Acid Reflex from a non working GB?

Hi. I started having stomach pains in November and the hospital did an ultrasound and initially diagnosted me with gastritis. Well the pain began to get worse so I went to see a stomach specialist and he ordered a hida scan for me because he suspected that it was my gall bladder. I had the scan done at the end of December and the results came back with a .5% to 0% ejection rate. I have no stones but the doctor told me that what happens is my gall bladder fills up like it should but it just isnt emptying because it doesnt contract and spasm the way its supposed to. So because it fills up and doesnt empty it puts a lot of pressure on my liver and it causes the pain. Im actually scheduled to have my gall bladder removed next thursday because the doctor said if I let it go on the way that it is now, in the long run it could cause bile to back up and possibly cause an infection even gangrene, which could be very very serious. He said there is no real reason that my gall bladder just stopped working and he also said its more common in woman to have gall bladder problems after they have had children. My over all diagnosis is biliary dyskinesia, if you'd like to google it maybe you can find some answers. Also I have developed some acid reflux since my stomach pains began but Im not sure if it has anything to do with the gall bladder disfunction. I had an upper endoscopy yesterday just to make sure that everything was ok. I hope this helps.

I'm a nuclear med tech and have done hundreds of HIDA scans with CCK for ejection fraction. I also had to have my gallbladder removed when 20 weeks pregnant, so this is familiar territory to me.

An EF of 5% is very, very low. Your gallbladder is definitely not squeezing like it should and that certainly could be the cause of your pain.

Personally, I would have the surgery done to remove the gallbladder. Just because you don't have stones does not mean there is not illness present. That's exactly the reason the nuclear medicine procedure with CCK for ejection fraction exists.

At most of the hopsitals I've worked, an EF as low as yours would be followed with surgery to remove the gallbladder. I'm not sure why the one doctor says its unneccessary.

I hope this info helps you decide what to do.

my EF was 9% i am scared and only 19years old.Is this a genetic thing

I just had a HIDA scan and was told my EF was a 6% and to expect a call from my MD regarding the need for surgery. I really need the surgery because I am SO tired of feeling sick and bloated all the time. My concern is possible weight gain after the surgery. I am already very overweight and have had trouble losing weight for the past 3 years. Could it be that a EF of 6% may be contributing to the excessive weight gain over the past foew years? If the bile salts that help breakdown fat is not being released from the gallbladder, one would think this may be contributing. Also, have any of you experienced weight gain AFTER your procedure/

Thanks

well still hanging on to gallbladder, most likely not for much longer can't take feeling sick all the time either bloating, pressure belching getting to be unbearable, have been on protonix for 2 years now. Not helping one bit. Had another Hida scan New Gi doc . This time result showed "0" emptying, also I became very very ill during test after the injection of cck this happen last time too but not this bad, I thought I was going to explode & became very flushed & nauseated sorry to be graphic no way else of explaing the feeling tech said its a pretty good sign of gallbladder issue. Scared to death of surgery, never been put under before. been hanging on because doctors can't seem to give me definite answer that "yes its your gallbladder" I get more like "well we have to take it out and see if ur syptoms subside" what???? went to surgeon (step closer lol)
he says most likely is. He said ct not good choice of test for gallbladder & us don't always show the problem I could have tiny stones where it can't be seen. told me to let him know when Im ready. just might be can't take the pressure anymore makes it hard for me to exercise, sometimes even breath can this condition cause u to retain water??

To Banjomon, I am having my gall bladder removed in about a week. My Hida Scan test came back at 0%. This problem has been going on for years! I have been put throug every test known to human kind and for some reason no doctors never thought of checking my gall bladder. After having surgery 8 months ago for some other issues in my stomach, but related to all the pain I've been complaining to doctors about, the surgeon still missed checking the gall bladder. After seeing several doctors in my area and being misdiagnosed so many times, I was about to give up. But honestly the pain kept getting worse and worse. The bloating and weight gain even with excercising did not reduce. I am not an over weight person, so because I didn't fit the classic over weight category (told by my new GI) doctor it could have been one of the reasons why other doctors didn't test for it. Go figure! Skinny people can have bad gall bladders too! Anyhow, I have spoken to many people that have had their gall bladder removed and they experienced weight loss after the surgery. Just becareful what you eat as very greasy or fatty type of foods can go right through you. Maybe this is why they lost weight because their body wasn't retaining what they put in. With that in mind, take vitamins that are easily soluble and minerals to hopefully get some nutrition you may not get due to the rapid loss of the food you intake.

To: Megh1988- Gall bladder disease can run in the family. However, ask your mom or dad if anyone in the family have had their gall bladder removed. Also, I have found out that you do not have to have gall bladder disease to have a bad gall bladder. My test came back at 0% and still my GI doctor doesn't think I have the disease. However, until my surgery coming up on the 15Th is performed, he will not know for sure what is really going on with my system. He will also check my pancreas since this problem has been going on for so long. Just to make sure I have not developed pancreatitis. Which then can be a much more severe condition. You're young so you will bounce right back. By the way, I am the first person in my family history to ever have my gall bladder removed. So, it does not run in my family. There is no real reason as to why the gall bladder suddenly stops working. I do not eat fatty foods and I am athletic so go figure. As for me, I'm just so thankful that my friend recomended me to her GI doctor as he is the first one to diagnose me properly. He is a blessing to me. No one wants any parts in their body removed unless necessarily. In my case, I'll be happy when my gall bladder is gone. By now you probably have had your gall bladder removed and if so please let me know how you felt after. Most people feel way better according to what they told me. Also, let me know if you have experienced weight gain or loss after surgery. Thanks!

GOOD LUCK! just had mine removed today. am sore, but doing well. Had a great surgeon and supportive friends. I was on the fence about getting it out. I had a inection fraction rate of 5%. I really only had fullness after anything, bad shoulder pain and rib/right side.

Been reading everyones comments, I am scheduled to have mine out Monday too...on the fence about it also. My hyda came back at 19%..don;t really have any pain other than some occsional backpain but nauseas all the time pretty much. Have had 2 kids, not overweight, workout 3x per week, 35 snd no family history. Im scared I will not feel better or will have worse symptoms after the surgery after reading some people's experiences. I had the EGD etc too, bloodwork etc and the only test that came back abnormal is this hydascan. Been nauseas for about 1.5 months although it's subsided a little bit recenlty (go figure now that Im scheduled to have it out). What is recovery, is there a lot of pain and did most of you feel better??? Just scared to have a body part removed since im not in any pain really just naseaus all the time, and swallowing food has gotten a little more difficult.

Thank you, sasskat73, for your post. My result was a 5.2%, and I am going to have mine out on July 22. It was a relief for me to read that you were making a post the day of your surgery!

Were you released that same day?

I was released the same day. I went in at 8am, had it done around 10:45 and left at 4. I have lortabs for pain, which have helped. The worst pain is the trapped gas that they fill you with to open you up. That bothers my ribs, back, shoulder etc... I am watching what I eat. Ginger ale to "burp" feels good, graham crackers and saltines are a must have. Heating pad for your side, or back. I have found it best to lay on my left side. Pain killers may make you constipated so take some extra fiber caplets/milk of magnesia. TRUST ME! I go bakc to surgeon on Tuesday. I hope the gas pain and heartburn/acid twinge of pain are gone soon. Best of Luck!!

i have been inpain two weeks on my right under my ribs i had a hyda scan on my gall blader i'm wait i had a utlra sound it show nothing and my blood work is good but i so tired of hurt

I have had episodes for about a year, 1-6 hours after eating. Recently went to PCP about pain in right side & more frequent & severe epesodes. he said gallbladder & did Ultrasound wich came back all clear, then PIPDA scan showed 9% evacuation of gallbladder... so PCP is sending me up to see Spec/Surgion next week about removing it. I eat well, could exercise more, am not overweight, but do have family history of galstones. Have found very little online about gallbladder issues w/out stones.

I just had my gallbladder out last week after suffering with the ribcage pain, bloating, etc. My US came back normal, hida showed a 14% ejection rate.

In my experience the surgery isn't anything to be nervous about. I got an IV with relaxing drugs so I was high as a bird going into the OR. The last thing I remember is my surgeon saying, "Hello, Sweetheart" and I was out cold. I woke up in recovery, got wheeled down to a private room to drink a Mountain Dew and eat some saltines. Once I could go to the bathroom, I was released and came home with my big bottle of pain meds.

The second day was pretty brutal for me. I wasn't dealing well with the gas pains at all. Luckily my neighbor, also a nurse, dropped by and made me walk around to get the gas going. IF you take nothing else from my post- WALK AROUND!!

The pathologist's report concluded that I had chronic cholecystitis. No stones. The walls had thickened so my surgeon thinks I had been dealing with that for a while.

I'm left with 3 tiny scars. One in the belly button, one on the right side of my ribs and one in the middle of my belly. My surgeon used glue to close the incisions and that worked really well. I was able to shower the next day and didn't have to avoid the areas at all.

I have been losing weight pretty quickly. My appetite isn't what it was and I'm running to the bathroom quite a bit but the surgeon says that will calm down.

Good luck if you are just beginning this process! It's not as horrible as I thought it would be and I am so happy I got it done.

I have been having nausea for over 2 years (since my 3rd child was born), and have severe episodes of pain just below my sternum extending to my mid back. EGD revealed gastritis and esophagitis, thus I was placed on Nexium. This helped, but did not resolve the issue. I recently had a Hida-scan which showed my GBEF to be 19%, and was recommended to have my gall bladder removed. I have been reading 80% resolution of symptoms after cholecystectomy, however I still have my reservations.