Hello everyone. A few days ago my cardiologist recommend me to do cardiac markers because he suspect that something is wrong with my heart. I asked him what is going on and he told me that he can't tell me because he is not sure at all. So, I came in here to see what do you know about this and can you help me with your knowledge and some advice maybe. I want to know what are cardiac markers and what is their purpose? Anything that you know it would be just fine to share it with me. Tnx a lot. 

Good day there.

Cardiac markers are used in the diagnosis and risk stratification of patients with chest pain and suspected acute coronary syndrome. You haven’t told us did you have any symptoms such as chest pain? Why did you went to see your doctor at the first place? Look, the cardiac troponins, in particular, have become the cardiac markers of choice for patients with ACS. To cut long story short, those are the Cardiac markers or shorter those are biomarkers measured to evaluate heart function. Your doctor will always recommend you to do it when you have some changes in your heart behavior.

Hey Tessa,

I'll try to explain it as simply as I can. Cardiac markers are biomarkers measured to evaluate heart function. They are often discussed in the context of myocardial infarction, but other conditions can lead to an elevation in cardiac marker level. Most of the early markers identified were enzymes, and as a result, the term "cardiac enzymes" is sometimes used. However, not all of the markers currently used are enzymes. For example, in formal usage, troponin would not be listed as a cardiac enzyme, and it is used widely now.

If your doctor told you that you should do this, than you should do it.

Hi Tessa,

There are things, you see, which can be measured in order to see if your heart is okay and in this particular case, to see if you are prone to having a heart attack, or myocardial infarction. These things that are used as a measurement unit are called cardiac markers.

Like Alan told you above, the most common cardiac markers used for this matter are enzymes, at least they were until recently, now there are troponins as well and some other things that are used as well as cardiac markers. As far as I know, this is mostly used to show if you are prone to heart attack.

Hey Tess,

Measuring cardiac biomarkers can be a step toward making a diagnosis for a condition. Whereas cardiac imaging often confirms a diagnosis, simpler and less expensive cardiac biomarker measurements can advise a physician whether more complicated or invasive procedures are warranted. In many cases medical societies advise doctors to make biomarker measurements an initial testing strategy especially for patients at low risk of cardiac death.

There are a few types of cardiac marker tests out there and these are troponin test, creatine kinase test, lactate dehydrogenase, aspartate transaminase, myoglobin, ischemia modified albumin, pro brain natriuretic peptide and Glycogen phosphorylase isoenzyme BB.

Hey guys,

I had this troponin test done on me once but it didn't show anything, I was perfectly healthy.

Depending on the marker, it can take between 2 and 24 hours for the level to increase in the blood. Additionally, determining the levels of cardiac markers in the laboratory, like many other lab measurements, takes substantial time. Cardiac markers are therefore not useful in diagnosing a myocardial infarction in the acute phase. The clinical presentation and results from an ECG are more appropriate in the acute situation.

In 2010, research at the Baylor College of Medicine revealed that, using diagnostic nanochips and a swab of the cheek, cardiac biomarker readings from saliva can, with the ECG readings, determine within minutes whether someone is likely to have had a heart attack.

Hey everyone,

Well, some time ago, I don't even remember when it was exactly, my doctor told me that he wants me to do this test called a cardiac marker test. I didn't know until today, before seeing this post, what was this test all about. I was feeling just fine but I decided to do it because I trust my doctor's judgment. We did the test and it turned out that I was completely fine, so I didn't even bother what was this test about. I'm not even sure why did he want me to do this test in the first place.

Hello guys. Thank you very very much. Now I see the bigger picture of it. But there is also one huge concern for me as well. I am afraid that during this exam or test something is going to be..I don't know - painful, uncomfortable. I was wondering did any of you had some experience with it? And still I am afraid what those markers will show when I finish with them. I don't know what can I expect and that is why I am extremely scared. If you know more about it please let me know. Thank you so much for everything.

Hi there. I think that you don’t have any reasons to be scared. It is simple procedure that is not painful at all and it is done very quickly. But you have to do it if your doctor recommend you to do it.

As you already probably know, cardiac markers are substances that are released into the blood when the heart is damaged or stressed. Measurements of these markers doctors use to diagnose acute coronary syndrome (ACS) and cardiac ischemia. Those are conditions associated with insufficient blood flow to the heart. Tests for cardiac biomarkers can also be used to help determine a person's risk of having these conditions or to help monitor and manage someone with suspected ACS and cardiac ischemia

Good day everyone.

I have done those markers and I can tell you that this is a piece of cake. It is nothing dangerous, it is just a simple test that can help you determine is something wrong with your heart, do you have any heart failure or not. Cardiac marker tests identify blood chemicals associated with myocardial infarction (MI), commonly known as a heart attack. The myocardium is the middle layer of the heart wall composed of heart muscle. Infarction is tissue death caused by an interruption in the blood supply to an area. I understand that you are scared, but you don’t have to be.