Hi Everyone,
Here's my story: Awhile ago I began having some discomfort in the upper right quadrant of my abdomen. When I say discomfort, I mean it--I wouldn't say it was painful, just not particulary pleasant. I have never had the naseau, vomiting, severe pain, etc. that most people associate with gallbladder problems.

When it became obvious that this wasn't going away, I went to the Doc for his opinion. He ordered an ultrasound (which was normal; no gallstones or enlargement) and a HIDA Scan.

The HIDA Scan with CCK showed an ejection fraction of 5% which I was told was low (normal is 35%-75%). He has referred me to a surgeon for the removal of my gallbladder.

Now I am searching the internet for more information about this procedure, and the more I read, the more unsure I am that this is necessary. It seems to me that my life may be more negatively impacted AFTER the surgery than before it.

Has anyone been in this particular situation before? Any recommendations? It seems to me that most people have gallstone problems, not gallbladder dysfunction, which is where I am... %-)

My EF is 5% as well. My Dr told me that the % was the rate in which the bile comes out of the gallbladder. In our case the bile trickles out. I feel a weird fullness on my right side. Almost, at times, as if a baby is moving in there. I was told that was the gallbladder spasming.

My gallbladder spasms most of the time now and I am due to have it removed 6/30. I can't wait! In the last week I have began to have multiple digestive problems and am having a hard time finding something I can eat that doesn't make me sick. I have already lost 12 pounds in the last 2 weeks.

Good luck!! I just had a HIDA scan and had a 5% injection fraction rate. I want to feel better. Ithere is soreness under ribs and shoulder all the time, no matter what i eat. I see my surgeon next week. Please let us know how you are doing.
Shell

Posted: 06/26/08 - 17:21 Post subject: Gallbladder needs to go?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shell

Hey guys, I just had my gallbladder out today. Iy went well, and just in a bit of pain, especially with the gas that gets trapped after surgery. i have found a heating pad, and painkillers are working just great. Good luck to all those who are debating on surgery. I was really on the fence, one way to go alternative med route, but I knew it would eventually come out. Both my parents have had theirs. Sadly another reason was insurance. My company switches on September 1st, so I had it while it was 100% covered. Good luck everyone!!

Do you have any update since you had your gallbladder removed? Are the symptoms you had before the surgery gone now? Are you happy you had it removed?

I have had an infraction rate of 4 since, my goodness, the military which for me was 1999. I refused to let them take my gallbladder and choose to look into my diet instead. The better we eat, the better our cells grow and support our organs, including the gallbladder. I changed to a mostly whole, living foods diet, which happens to be extremely low on fat, which can cause problems with low infraction rates and still have my gallbladder : ) Here are some suggestions...

* Avoid fatty or fried foods and red meat. On salads, substitute commercial dressings with vinegar - and olive oil - a 'good' fat.
* Instead of large meals, eat small amounts of food during the day, and especially avoid any large meals at bedtime.

* Fish Oil Capsules - Omega 3 oils are known to block cholesterol formation in bile.

* Turmeric - enhances the flow of bile and GREAT for the immune system!
* Ginger - aids in digestion of fats.
* Eat more fiber! -

Good Luck and may God bless your decisions,

April

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I know it's been a few years since you've had your gallbladder taken out. How are you feeling now? How do you eat and do you have any problems that persist? I'm going on Monday to have my Hida Scan and am scared to death because I hear how sick people become afterwards. Can you share your experience? Thanks

I know it's been a few years since you've posted on this website. However, I was wondering, since you've decided not to get your gallbladder taken out, do you experience gallbladder attacks such as pain/nausea? Or has your gallbladder gotten any worse? I don't want to take mine out but I'm afraid if it's not doing well it may just continue to get worse. Please let me know how you are doing.

I know it's been a few years since you've posted on this website. However, I was wondering, since you've decided not to get your gallbladder taken out, do you experience gallbladder attacks such as pain/nausea? Or has your gallbladder gotten any worse? I don't want to take mine out but I'm afraid if it's not doing well it may just continue to get worse. Please let me know how you are doing. Reply Log in to leave feedback 0 0

Sorry I replied to the wrong person. Here's what I wanted to say:

MrsC26 -- how did you fare with your gallbladder dysfunction a year later? I am in the same situation as you. 6% ejection fracction with the CCK and HIDA scan. The more I read, the less I am to consider surgery. How are you today?

Hope they tell you about the diarrhea that follows your test. Usually it hits the same day - mine took two days then major but O I felt so good after purging. I'm wondering about a more healthy diet than having gallbladder out.

I've researched this also since mine is at 4% and have chosen the surgery after getting second opinion. The positive impact on life after surgery compared to trying to continue carrying an all but non-working gallbladder leaves little question whwat to do