Hello everyone. I was driving my car today (I was driving my boss to the airport) and when I was driving back to my job, I felt this bad chest pressure and I started to feel some thrones in my left hand. I didn't go back to the job and I went to see doctor. My doctor is at summer vacation, but there was some older doctor that was really - unpleasant. He doesn't talk much. He just gave me the tests and I could read that I have "STEMI (ST-segment-elevation myocardial infarction). Do I need to mention that I don't have idea what this is? Can you explain me? 

Hey there basically a STEMI is a fancy name for a heart attack it gets the name because on an EKG there is elevation between the point of the S and T complexes.  If you google normal  and STEMI EKG it will be easier to see on the picture

Hi Joshua,

A STEMI is a full-blown heart attack caused by the complete blockage of a heart artery. A STEMI heart attack, like a Widow Maker, is taken very seriously and is a medical emergency that needs immediate attention. For this reason its often called a “CODE STEMI” or a “STEMI alert.” STEMI stands for ST elevation myocardial infarction. “ST elevation” refers to a particular pattern on an EKG heart tracing and “myocardial infarction” is the medical term for a heart attack. So STEMI is basically a heart attack with a particular EKG heart-tracing pattern.

So this means that you had a heart attack, mild one obviously.

Hey Joshua,

When someone is being evaluated for chest pain the EKG tracing is done as soon as possible to help see if it’s the heart. An ST-elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI) is a combination of symptoms of chest pain and a specific STEMI EKG heart tracing. The EKG has to meet what is called STEMI criteria to make a correct diagnosis, just like an NSTEMI will provide another set of specific diagnostic criteria. The EKG also provides information as to which part of the heart the blocked artery is supplying. The most dangerous is an anterior STEMI which is the front wall of the heart, it is the most serious one.

Hi everyone,

So you've had a heart attack, Joshua. Luckily for you, everything turned out to be okay. Now you need to see what to do when it comes to the recovery of this.

Educating patients and their families is one of the most critical aspects of care after a STEMI. Several new medicines are started after a heart attack, several of which may be needed lifelong. Patients need to be sure they take the medications prescribed to have a benefit. Stopping smoking is essential. It’s important that patients follow up with their doctors. Drugs should be used to control blood pressure such as amlodipine.

Hi Joshua,

I had had a heart attack some time ago and I was following a program, or a course, however you would like to call it, in order to get better. This is called a cardiac rehabilitation. 

It is a course for people who had heart attack or open heart surgery, it helps them get through their recovery periods. It is going to teach you what to eat, how to exercise and for how long, it is going to teach you everything that you need to know about getting better after a heart attack. I would recommend you going to this cardiac rehab.

Hey Joshua,

You should be happy that everything turned out to be okay, this can sometimes be dangerous.

I think that Christa is right, you should try and go with cardiac rehab if you want to get better in the best possible way. This involves exercise, addressing questions such as time of return to physical activities and dietary concerns. Following these things after the STEMI is arguably as important as treating the STEMI itself.

Basically, the main risk factor of STEMI is age. The older you get, the bigger the chances are that you going to have a STEMI type heart attack.

Good day there. It is very easy to understand. But now when they told you what this is, I will try to explain you how this occurs. A ST elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI) most commonly occurs when thrombus formation results in complete occlusion of a major epicardial coronary vessel. The most serious form of acute coronary syndromes, STEMI is a life-threatening, time-and it must be diagnosed and treated promptly via coronary revascularization, usually by percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI). So it is very important to discover it on time so you can avoid some problems it your life. You should treat it constantly.

Hey there guys, Thank you. I am feeling much better now. I was in the hospital a couple of days ago so they did some tests and analyses to me after this. This doctor was really unkind so whatever I asked him about this he didn't wanted to explain to me. So I didn't know until now what this is.I was so confused and I didn't know what I could expect. Thx God now I am in my home and I am feeling really good. But I want to know for how long this recovery time can least? Thank you!

Joshua, you can always find a good information in here. Don’t worry. If we can’t we will find someone who can help you ;). Now, about your question about the recovery time – I need to tell you that this always depends on how hard this heart attack was. You should know that after a stemi, heart remodeling is usually all done by 3 months. Sure, it can happen even faster but that is some optimum time. In this recovery process you need to use beta – blockers for the treatment, you need to exercise, have a good food to eat, etc. That is all clue in your recovery process. I am glad that you are fine. Good luck.

Hello everyone.

Look, there is no joke about this. STEMI is very, but VERY dangerous heart attack. Actually, type of heart attack. It is very serious condition during which one of the heart’s major arteries (one of the arteries that supplies oxygen and nutrient-rich blood to the heart muscle) is blocked. ST-segment elevation is an abnormality detected on the 12-lead ECG. Since you already had it, it is very important to control your heart very often because those attacks can happen all over again. I believe that you are aware of it. It is not a joke as I told you!