I'm a fit, normal weight, 49 year old woman...i've always had low level digestive issues which i've had to accomodate dietarily. (no ice cream after meals, etc...small meals...lots of veggies) anway, last year i suddenly lost my appetite and found myself unable to eat much of anything. Every now a then I'd feel a dull pain under my right shoulder blade. Often, esp in the morning, my breath was foul. (according to my poor husband!) a bunch of tests were done: blood, US, EUS, and HIDA. The HIDA scan revealed an EF of 24%, and GB removal was recommended, but by that time (~1 month) I'd started regaining my appetite little by little (ate mostly steamed veggies and fresh veggie juices) so I decided against surgery. After about 2 months, I was completely back to normal and felt bad for harassing my GI doctor

Fast forward to March 15th 2012: Same thing--very SUDDENLY, no appetite...but this time the upper right back pain and pain under my right rib were much more pronounced. I went on the same diet as I'd implemented last year--mostly steamed/blended veggies...and after about 10 days things started looking up. Then, about 2 weeks later, before I was fully back to normal (but had started cautiously eating "regular foods") the problem hit again but this time MUCH worse. So from April 9th until today, Aptil 22nd, I've had consistent (though still intermittent) RUQ pain, ZERO appetite, and whenever I try to eat something "normal," like a piece of feta cheese, I have stomach discomfort, a pressing, dull, pain under my right rib, and very bad flatulence from about 1.5 hours on. The RUQ back pain isn't so prominent at these times, but resumes eventually. Still have the foul breath, appears sort of unpredictably. What on earth is going on? What other tests might be indicated? (Oh--had an MRI of the liver based on symptoms and a mildly elevated AST--it revealed only benign hemangiomas. Also repeated HIDA w/ CCK, which revealed 33% EF and *mildly* replicated symptoms.)

I had many of the symptoms you described... I drug my feet about getting the surgery, but after awhile no amount of careful eating helped the pain & gb spams/attacks under my right rib. I had my gallbladder out 7 years ago at the age of 33. My gallbadder showed long term inflammation, adhesion's that made it difficult for the surgeon to get th GB off my liver...& the gb was full of cholesterol polyps. I was happy to have the surgery & still am happy to be without my gb. 

The tests I had were, hida, upper endoscope & colonscopy, ct scans & ultra sounds. None pointed directly to my gb being the culprit, but it was. 

Hope you can get some answers...

hi bluestreak! thanks for the reply--really helpful!! do you remember the "ejection fraction" on your HIDA? my most recent was borderline, but from what you're saying that doesn't seem to matter!

My ejection fraction was within normal range...

Hi--this is REALLY helpful. One more question, if you don't mind: what were your other symptoms? did you lose your appetite? have foul breath? Were your stools normal? (my answers are yes, yes, yes)

I lost my appetite, because if I ate, I had pain & spasms more under my right rib. Felt bloated all the time & just very uncomfortable, nauseated a lot, especially after dinner. Don't recall foul breath. I have ibs anyway, so as far as normal/abnormal stools can't really help you there.