Hi, folks. I would like to know what can lead to dialysis. My friend is in hospital. He has a severe chronic renal failure and his kidney doctor recommends dialysis. What do you think about that? Isn't that too early? I hear that one should avoid dialysis as far as possible. Thanks for all your replies.

Hi, there. Usually severe renal failure is the one that can lead to dialysis. Very elevated creatinine levels are alarm for dialysis. When the kidneys cannot remove poisons from the organism, then urea jumps. This condition is known as uremia and it affects every organ in the body. Glomerular filtration rate is also important for viewing kidney's functioning. Your friend should talk to his kidney doctor and see all the options. It is true that dialysis should be avoided as far as possible. On the other hand, kidney doctors like to start with it before its too late and damages in organism appears. Poisons accumulate in body when they can't be eliminated by kidneys. I hope that your friend will be all right. Good luck!

Hi, my dad is suffering from renal calculi since 30 years. But now his His legs are swelling and serum creatinine level is 3.4m/dL. Please can you tel me weather dialysis is necessary for him?