After few days I had strange vaginal discharge and some other strange symptoms I decided to visit my gynecologist. It was good idea; because it looked I have some vaginal infection. He recommended me Canesten so I am going to start with this therapy. Before I start I would like to hear something more about this medication, for example how does it work?

Canesten is used to treat infections with fungi and yeasts. It contains the active ingredient clotrimazole, which is antifungal medicine, appropriate for these conditions. It kills fungi and yeasts by interfering with their cell membranes. Canesten works by stopping the fungi from producing a substance called ergo sterol. That is essential component of fungal cell membranes. Disruption in production of ergo sterol disrupts the fungal cell membrane, causing holes to appear in it. Cell membranes of fungi are vital for their survival, because they keep unwanted substances from entering the cells and stop the contents of the cells from leaking out. As Canesten causes holes to appear in the cell membranes, essential constituents of the fungal cells can leak out. This kills the fungi and treats the infection. Side effects are reported as irritation in area of use or burning sensations. It does not mean that all people using this medicine will experience that or any side effect