Hello! I'm not an expert in the field of medicine. I ask you to reply to my next question. I would like to know something about purpura. Actually what does purpura look like? Does anyone could provide me some image or explanation? It can be the Internet site of course. I would like to thanks for your help.

Hello there,

Purpura is purple-colored spots and patches that may occur on the skin, organs, and in mucus membranes. It can also appear on the lining of the mouth. Purpura occurs when small blood vessels join together or if there is blood leaking under the skin. When purpura spots are very small they are reffered as petechiae while large purpura spots are called ecchymoses.

Nonthrombocytopenic purpuras can occur because of the amyloidosis, blood clotting disorders, congenital cytomegalovirus, and congenital rubella syndrome, drugs that affect platelet function, fragile blood vessels, hemangioma, and inflammation of the blood vessels such as vasculitis or due Henoch-Schonlein purpura. Sometimes purpura can occur because of the pressure changes that occur during vaginal childbirth, scurvy and steroid use. I hope this was helpful.