I am almost 50 years old and I had a TURP done on May 22, 2015. Basically to ream my prostate as I was told it was enlarged and possibly the cause of my bladder stones. This was an in patient procedure and was supposed to stay over night. After 3 nights with a french 22 catheter and many clots the catheter was removed. I was unable to urinate even though my bladder was full. The charge nurse inserted another French 22 (I don't know why they had to go so large). I had never experienced so much pain and told the nurse it felt like she just tore me up inside. The next day they pulled the catheter again and I still could not urinate. I was shown how to self catheter and sent home. I am 1 week removed from surgery and I still cannot urinate on my own. When I self catheter I get resistance just before the bladder at the prostate and it stings greatly. The doctor assures me this is not a life long issue and I will eventually be able to urinate on my own. Has anyone else experienced this and how long did it take for you to start urinating on your own? I still get very dark urine as in a prune color.

Update. Still have to self catheter but is mostly urine with a bit of blood at the beginning. It has been 8 days now since surgery. Still looking for info on this problem. I'll continue to report on progress as it happens.

One of my friends has the same problem, and I am looking for the answer as you.