I'm 68 and had both TURP & GL 4 weeks ago. I've been dealing with this problem for 17 years now. First, the doc had to deal with a tumor on my prostate (it was negative). I was told I'd be having the GL but my prostate was so large the doc had to cut away before he could use the GL or he'd still be there using the GL. Told me it was the biggest prostate he'd seen in over a year. Stayed overnight in the hospital, there was no way I could have come home the way I felt. Not only did they put me to sleep but also gave me a nerve block. Based on what I've read, I guess I'm not doing to bad. I have a good stream little pain and only get up about once a night. The doc told me it would take 6 to 8 weeks and I really believe him now. The biggest problem I'm having is fatigue. Most days I'm on the sofa by noon for the rest of the day. I just have no energy at all and I'm going out of town in about 3 weeks, sure hope I feel better.

I'm sorry that your situation is so uncomfortable at the moment because it sounds like you are experiencing a lot of discomfort and frustration. I think it's good that you've posted your experiences here with your prostate and the green light laser so that if any of us ever has to get it done, we know more what to expect. Can you post more on the experience? Thanks!

I'm sorry you are having a bad experience. I feel I need to comment on my positive experience to balance the scales. I just underwent 980 nm laser surgery for enlarged prostate which is the next thing. It is a little more powerful than green light and according to my doctor it is able to remove more material from inside the prostate. I had been suffering for years and even resorting to self catheterization the month or two prior to the surgery. On a side note if you have severe blockage get a catheter kit from your doc and learn to use it. If you aren't able to get rid of your urine you may be on the road to bigger problems (bladder spasms, kidney problems, etc.) so even though it takes some getting used to, self catheterization can be a life saver. Anyway back to the surgery. I had general anesthesia for the 10:30 AM procedure which took about two winks. I woke up in recovery about an hour afterwards and had a foley catheter with 30 ml in the balloon (that's quite a bit) and I had the urge to urinate even though I was on a catheter. It was manageable and other than that I did not have severe discomfort or pain. Prior to leaving about an hour or so later they gave me a leg mounted catheter and I wore that home. I did not need pain reliever at home. That night before I switched to the larger catheter receptacle because I was drinking a lot of water as the doctor had advised. I was given instructions on how to remove the foley catheter which I did 24 hours after having it inserted (again according to doc's orders). Removing it was not painful. There was blood in my urine (plainly visible in the cath bag) but by the time I removed the foley I had gone from tomato juice looking to cranberry juice looking urine. After the foley was out I took my first pee and was expecting the worst. It was anti-climactic... thank god and I had very little discomfort to practically none. The stream was excellent from then on and I went quite often. It has been a few days and I am not going as often. The urine is pretty normal looking with an occasional bit of blood at the start of urination. All in all if you have been suffering as I did I can say I would recommend the procedure. I have a huge prostate and I may have to do this again one day but knowing that it was not impossible and not the hooror I had imagined will give me the confidence to do it withour reservation. I am still recovering and I have not had sex since the surgery but I "woke up with wood" today and am confident that after a few more days I'll be giving it a go. Read the good and the bad. So far my experience has been good. Make sure your doc is experienced and caring. My urologist also does vasectomy reversals which told me "this guy knows what he's doing".