I would like to hear from people who have had the PVP laser treatment for your prostate & the pros & cons of this procedure as opposed to the TURP procedure.

Every doctor believes his procedure is the best be it laser or TURP. What I need to know is which is better by the people who have had it done. So let me know about your particular procedure & results?? Complications & recomendations??

joe

Funny you should ask. I had the laser procedure(PVP) back on Sep. 19. I can tell you what my experience has been but as far as comparing it to the TURP, you'll have to hear from someone who has had the TURP.

First of all, it was an out-patient deal. The procedure itself was no big deal - I was hooked up to an IV and they put me out and I woke up with a catheter in place with a bag strapped to my leg. I was told I could remove it the next day and was given instructions on how to do it. The following morning I removed the catheter when I had my shower and it was no big deal. The first time I had to pee after the catheter came out was a bit uncomfortable due to some soreness in the end of my penis, right at the opening. That lasted for a couple of days and was gone and that's the only discomfort I felt for a while. I guess you could say that my recovery has been in stages. First was the blood in the urine, followed by passing bits of what looked like blood clots or scabs I guess they could be called. This has all been accompanied by over active bladder and frequency of urination. I cant go more than about 2 hours without having to pee, depending on how much liguid I've had to drink and that's both day and night. The latest thing was a severe, what I would describe as a muscle spasm, immediately following urination. That was actually painful at times. I had been on Flowmax prior to the surgery but quit taking it afterwards because I didn't think I would need it anymore. But when I starting having the "spasms" I decided to go back on the Flomax and it seems to have helped because those are pretty much going away.

To sum up, I'm about a month and a half post-op and things are getting better all the time with the exception of the OAB and the frequency. The OAB isn't as bad as it was and I'm hoping that will go away. The frequency, will have to wait and see. Bottom line - now when I pee, man do I ever! Like we used to say when I was living on the farm, "like a cow pissing on a flat rock".

I had dealt with BPH for the past 15 years, I'm only 53 yo. Finally got tired of having to go so often, stand there for stream to start, never being able to totally empty my bladder, and when the bladder was full, taking 1-2 minutes to try to empty it. Being a doc myself, I did not want to go through the TURP which was recommended 2 years ago because of the complications and long recovery time. I researched the topic and decided on the greenlight pvp procedure; and I'm glad I did. Had procedure on 11/27/07 at 5pm. was home at 9 pm with a catheter. I took the catheter out at 8 am on the 28th. 2 days later I drove 5 hours for a trip I could not postpone and 5 hrs on 12/1/07 back home. No pain meds were taken, not even a tylenol. No major spasms and the stream has been better than I can remember. Came together with my wife 2 1/2 weeks post-op and everything is working fine, NO retrograde ejaculation, no pain only mild irritation in genital area. Mind you, I don't use caffeine of any type (coffee, tea, sodas or chocolate), or alcohol, I drink at least 80 ounces of water each day and I am a vegetarian. The surgeon was great! I would recommend this procedure to anyone with BPH.

I thank God for directing me to choose this procedure and for His healing power and the skill He gave to the surgeon. I hope this helps in some way those who are contemplating this procedure. God bless!