I will be undergoing TURP this coming Friday. I am astonished at the variables in the recovery stories. I guess it depends on your overall level of fitness, and the skill of yoyur surgeon. Gloom and Doom stories are not condusive to a speedy recovery. Hopefully working out 3 days a week and neither smokeing in the past 6 monts or drinking in the past 10 years will speed me back to health. Think so?

I'm almost 60 years old and was experiencing frequent and weak urination. It was discovered I had a median lobe that was blocking the urethra opening from my bladder.

It's been 9 days since I had the TURP procedure where the doc removed the median lobe. Surgery went well and have experienced the same tenderness of the urethral passage, passing of scabs and stuff that looks like rust, and a couple of alarmingly large clots. I still urinate blood each day but there are long intervals when no blood is passed at all. My doc was very upfront about what to expect. The urgency issue is beginning to decrease and there are still a few minor leakage accidents. I'll try sex (the urges are definitely there) when I am confident it won't be a problem. I was back to work 3 days after surgery and only then did I find out most people take 1 or 2 weeks off.

Facing the same procedure this Friday, just wondering what your opinion of the procedure and it's results are a couple of years after the median lobe romoval?

Had TURP 16 days ago. The facility had good ratings for the particular operation, and the urologist seemed to be very good. I was pleased that he removed the catheter the day after the operation and I was able to go home. Felt pretty good. Had a strong stream flow. Since then the recovery has been slower than I expected. The discharge instructions said to expect blood for 24-48 hours. So I was expecting quick recovery. Nope. Had some drops of blood about half the time, had pain when urinating, and generally need to urinate 2-3 times just as before the operation. These symptoms from the surgery have been fairly steady since day 2. Around days 12-13 I got some scab chunks showing up in my urine. Right now my stream flow seems to be down quite a bit although better than before the operation. Bleeding is less right now. I figure more scabs are building up and probably blocking some of the urine flow while also preventing bleeding. When the recovery ran didn't go according to my optimistic expectations I read some TURP narratives and came to realize that my experience is nothing unusual. My expectations were just too high because they did not give me a heads up as to what to expect.