I am going to be undergoing a TURP procedure for my prostate, probably before the month is over. I did read the information about this procedure, as presented by my doctor, and he said I could call him with any questions that arise. I am wondering about the side effects of TURP. What my doctor can't tell me is how people feel right after the TURP and if there are any lasting side effects. I'd like to hear from those who have been through it first hand.

I had the TURP procedure three weeks ago and am still having a problem.  Each time I urnate, I pass a blood clot.  At time the clots a big enough to require me to strain to get the clot to pass.  Hope you don't experience this problem.

my father had turp last week, he's at home now, he complainsvof urine incontinent...

I had turp at appolo hospital NewDelhi in nov.11.  till today Iam not fully recoverd.still have recurrent prostatitis(low grade)&incontinense.My operation last for more then 4 hrs instead of 45miutes.when i can be.O.K.

Ihah a turp procedure done 9 years ago and as I am putting this info together I at this moment I am still bleeding and passing very large pieces of quadulated blood and tissue.Can someone shed some light on this please.

A little over five weeks ago I had a TURP procedure. I wasn't going to comment here or anywhere else as I don't feel I have much to offer. However, after reading these comments and others on other message boards, I hope what I have to say is helpful to someone.
Within a day and a half of the TURP procedure and prior to being discharged from the hospital, I had the catheter removed. For about the next four hours I urinated blood. My urine over the next few hours evolved from a reddish color to a light pink .I was then discharged. I never, to the best of my recollection, passed anymore blood. I did see the prostate scab about seven to ten days just like I read about. It would seem as each passing week, my flow seems to improve. However, although only five weeks later I too experience the burning sensation. On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd place it at around a 5. I d find myself with the urge to urinate frequently. When I do, I pass very little. So you really have to refocus yourself, "retrain" your bladder and walk past that men's room if you can .Give it another half hour or fifteen minutes .What ever you can stand. I find my flow is much stronger and I seem to empty better.
I am a teacher so there is not a lot of heavy lifting. But I am busy. I do a lot of walking. I feel anxious a lot and have noticed a little incontinence if I'm not quick to undo my fly and get to the urinal in time. That is the extent of my recovery thus far. I do not see bleeding, nor blood clots. I did, at week four see something pink fall into the toilet. To best describe it, it looked a lot like a pencil eraser. Pink, not bloody, and apparently had some weight to it, as it sank to the bottom of the bowl . I can only assume it was a piece of my prostate. Blessing to all of you as you recover.

I forgot to add this key bit of my healing process. I wrote the above last night. I forgot to add this. It is in reply to an older post but I hope it will help someone. After the TURP procedure mentioned above, I found the first week to be the toughest thus far. For the first seven to ten days I had a very difficult time passing urine. I did not, nor have I ever "peed like a race horse" as someone described "three days after my surgery." On my ten day post-op visit I did the peak flow test and had horrible results. The urologist (excellent btw) did a cystoscopy and and saw that is was all clear and what I was experiencing was swelling and inflamation of the urethra and bladder neck . I told him it felt like I was "peeing through a coffee stirrer ." he then did a cystoscopy an after I voided much better. Things began to improve slowly after with much more peak flow results in another follow-up visit a week later .

hi, i had turp 18 days ago. no problem till 16 days. but after that i did hurry in driving ,little bending ,did 5/6 kgs of weight in veg market. 2days later i urinated lot of blood inthe night  and got scared. i consulted my uro he advised taking of lot of fluid. there is lot improvement.hence avoid quick walking, bending , driving etcfor at least 4/5 weeks.   v j joshi

I had turp done about six weeks ago. Still have that burning uncomfortable sensation at end of urination. Anyone else's experience this, if so how long has it been?

hi, I also had a turp 6 weeks ago....I'm 58, had BPH for a few years....after surgery and hospital stay, I passed blood for about 4 weeks..and my stream was never very strong, nothing like it was supposed to be...But the pain, that has been truly, truly excruciating!!!!!!...I have to sit down so I can use all my muscles to force the "stream" out...often it's only a trickle, but still with teeth-grinding pain...after that, it takes me 5-10 minutes to recover. I dread going to the toilet...I saw my surgeon yesterday, finally.....he was rather glib, which surprised me, and told me it was nothing to worry about!! Apparently, I had the largest prostate he's seen in 15 years!!! Also a surprise....and it seems the larger the prostate, the more pain, complications, etc. He also didn't think it was a blockage, which is very "rare". he told me it will take another 4 months to return to normal !!! I left there with my tail between my legs, literally!! I will try some solutions on this forum, like water and baking soda, or Advil. Right now I'm popping Tylenol 1 s, which are no help. good luck, man.

Had the same problem with the clots. All a sudden I couldn't pee had to go to er. they tried to flush with sodium chloride for a day. The pain was excoriating 10 times!!! They laser red the clots. Still having problems with seepage and retention. Not happy with the outcome of the surgery.