My cousin went to see a doc two days ago for chest pain he has for a long time now and he was diagnosed with large cell carcinoma and is hospitalized for the cancer has spread around a lot as I understood. So I‘d like to know weather large cell carcinoma is treatable and what causes it.

I personally had lung cancer but I was diagnosed with lung cancer stage 1 I had surgery resection and am discharged with chemo that cured me I guess. But having lung cancer and large cell carcinoma of the lung is not the same thing. I know for sure that large cell carcinoma is usually late diagnosed and it spreads very fast and prognoses are not good usually. Large cell carcinoma is usually treated by thoracotomy meaning that the chest opening is needed and usually in cases of large cell carcinoma the chest wall and the diaphragm are affected. Smoking is the main cause of large cell carcinoma which if not treated grows rapidly. And sorry for the prognosis but I’ve heard that even after lung surgery there’re very high chances for cancer to come back again. And this large cell carcinoma is not like other types of cancer, it doesn’t react on chemotherapy though chemo may be used but only in order to prolong patient’s life or to reduce symptoms, but generally prognosis are not good.