I have cousin who is diagnosed with basal cell carcinoma. He told me that is said to be the most common form of skin cancer, affecting many people each year. In fact, he said it is the most common of all cancers, so I want to hear if that is true. If it is true, tell me something about this problem because I think that is scary. I want to know what actually basal cell carcinoma is, and who gets it the most.

It is true that one out of every three new cancers is a skin cancer. The vast majority are basal cell carcinomas, often referred to by the abbreviation. These cancers arise in the basal cells, which are at the bottom of the epidermis, which refers to outer skin layer. Until recently, the most often affected people were older men who had worked outdoors. More women are getting basal cell carcinoma now than in the past; nonetheless, men still outnumber them greatly. Chronic exposure to sunlight is the cause of almost all basal cell carcinomas. That is why this problem occurs most frequently on exposed parts of the body such as face, ears, neck, scalp, shoulders, and back. Rarely, however, tumors develop on non-exposed areas of the body. In a few cases, contributing factors are contact with arsenic, exposure to radiation, and complications of burns, scars, vaccinations, or even tattoos. Anyone with a history of frequent sun exposure can develop basal cell carcinoma. People who have fair skin, blonde or red hair, and blue, green, or gray eyes are at highest risk then others.