Hi! I have Eustachian tube dysfunction. I have severe pain when flying on airplanes. What can be cause? Is there any treatment?

Hi! People can have symptoms as you have when the Eustachian tube does not equalize pressure. It is closed when it should be open. This may involve pain or fullness. It may be a particular problem and source of severe pain when flying on airplanes. Allergies are common causes of ETD.
Eustachian tube dysfunction can be caused of otitis media.
Treatment of Eustachian tube dysfunction is not very effective. Medications for allergy such as decongestants, systemic or local antihistamines and nasal topical steroids are commonly tried. In most cases, it is worth it to find out if symptoms respond to ventilation of the ear.

:-| Hello, I have Eustation Tube Dysfunction in which my Eustation Tube's are swollen up due to allergies. I have found a life of being Legally Deaf/ Hearing Impaire absolutely frustrating at first. I went on a trip and took an airplane to get to my destination. I learned that if I held my nose and then used the pressure that you use to blow the nose to release the pressure, along with using my allergie nasal spray's an hour before hand and Ayr on the plane, chewed gum. I thought I would feel so much pain I could not stand it at all! Well I had 4 pain free flight's now and still going! I pray that this might help others' with the same problem. I use these all the time now with my YUK hearing aids to keep on keeping on! So make the best of life with all new trials n' errors. God Bless, Minister Kelly

I get hard yellow nodules in my eustacean tubes which have a horrible taste if bitten into or mashed. They seem to come from my right tube/toncil more than the left. I don't think anybody takes me serious about the foul odor they cause. The makeup of these nodules are like tarter that can gather on one's teeth over night. I can always tell when they are stuck in the tube pockets and sometimes use a crochet hook entice them to fall out so I can spit them out. Sometimes mashing on the soft palet in the back of my mouth will cause them to move on down and out. Anybody have any idea what this is and exactly what causes it? Thanks.

I also had nodules like yours and have come to believe that they are bits of food that have been trapped in the back of your throat for many days. It feels like they came from the back of the tonsils or near the eustacion tubes. Sometimes mine would dis-lodge when i would go on a long swim. The smell is probubly bacteria. I once used a bent q-tip to swab out some of these behind my tonsils. The gag reflex wasn't fun but i got them out. You can try that along with gargeling more often to kill the bacteria. My guess is that this is actually a way that my body builds up immunity via cultivating bacteria in my mouth. They are rather unplesant however.

Look up tonsil stones. drkatz has a nice oral system to rid of them. It's mucous and bacteria in the tonsils that thrive on post nasal drip.

I have had Eustachian tube dysfunction for many years and after several treatments of cortisone and allergy meds perscribed by my ENT, he finally put tubes in. It was about a 5-10 minute process per ear and I have to have it re-done about every 2-4 years depending on when they fall out and when the dysfunction causes significant hearing loss. It is relatively painless and I can go to work at my desk job after the treatment with no pain meds and only a slight-moderate discomfort (but not what I consider pain) for the first few days.

I just recently had to remove a "stone" from what I believe to be one of the Eustachian tube exit's in my throat (because I had my tonsils out 35 years ago when I was 7.) I used a straw and depressed it over the tube end and it worked it's way out. I was about the size of a sesame seed and had all the classic tonsil stone characteristics. It was a rather uncomfortable experience but here I am 24 hours later and it feels much better. I hope everything to be back to normal in a few more days. I will add that my throat became extremely inflamed in that area about a week ago but it seemed to go away so I suspect this inflammation was the beginnings for the stone. I am keeping a photo diary if anyone with the same issue is interested.

Those are tonsil stones, i get them too. They don't come out of your eustacean tubes, but are caused by bacterial buildup in tonsil pockets. Hard to get rid of, but not particularly harmful

These are caused from likely recurrent infections in the tonsils causing craters to form where bacteria harbor themselves in the tonsils. Please see and ENT (ear, nose and throat specialist) They will most likely advise you to have your tonsils removed. It is not acceptable to walk through life with bad breath caused from accumulation of these pasty bacteria ridden balls not to mention it is unsafe to be sticking a crochet hook into your throat which could perforate something or infect things worse. This is a chronic condition and there is a cure. Please seek medical attention with your local ENT MD

Tonsil stones, also know as tonsilloliths.

They are called tonsilloliths or tonsil stones. It's a build up of food, bacteria and other crud that gets trapped in your tonsil crypts when you are eating/swallowing.

They are tonsil stones .