I am going on 6 weeks now with on and off ear ache and constant various levels of ringing in my ears. MY ENT said it could take a while for this to "resolve". He claims it's common?!!? I have been on various nasal sprays, Zyrtec, and Singulair as well (due to Allergy doc evaluation) still not seeing much improvement outside of my ears are less cloggy now. How long have you suffered with Eustation Tube Dysfunction before it cleared up, if ever?

are you dizzy at all? I have been dizzy for 6 months. during the last two months I get shooting pains thru my ear and nose and head. doc gave me Allegra but it has done nothing. All my ENT will do is tell me to get an MRI. Have you gotten better? Have you seen an allergist? Please let me know what you have done, I feel that docs are not helping me and I dont know what to do..

Hello. I can understand your frustration. I have gone to an allergist and have allergies to my pets and also seasonal. The meds I am on have not helped. I am thinking of trying allergy shots but want to wait until summer is over to see if it clears up or not since allergy shots are a big commitment and inconvenient. The past few days I am wondering if some neck problems I had right before this started is some how related. My primary doc and also ENT says it shouldn't be but the physical therapist I was seeing told me it could be related. Not sure who to trust here. What medication are you taking? The allergy doctor put me on singulair in addition to zyrtec and flonase and I believe the singulair began giving me really bad headaches that seemed like sinus headaches. I stopped taking it cold turkey and after a few days the headaches were gone. I am really against medication for this reason but I understand it is necessary to take it if it actually is curing a condition.

To all those suffering with eustation tube dysfunction. I've had it for the past 9 months and it is finally clearing up. I have spoken to many people and this condition is pretty common. I almost think it could be a virus. I got mine after a bout with bronchitis last February. Try everything--sinus rinses, sudafed with benydril, massaging the neck and behind the ear, steam. Some of these may work, hopefully for you. I finally got an appointment with an ENT 2 weeks ago and although I wanted a myrogotomy (tubes in the ears) he didn't recommend it. I insisted. Then I did my homework and found that at my age, 64, there was a good chance that the eardrum membrane could rupture and I would not only be possibly deaf, but tintinitus could result which would no doubt drive me crazy with no medical solution. I opted out of the ear tubes and my condiction seems to be improving. Please hang on with the eustation tube dysfunction, hopefully it will clear up as mine seems to be. I only know too well how much you are suffering. I lost many sleepless nights, couldn't take a bath or even get near water, I used to take my dogs out for a walk many times during the night as I got that claustrophic feeling, and just driving and having small altitude changes would drive me nuts. I had to keep the windows open in the car to equalize the pressure. I know how you feel, it's awful. As I said, Just hand in there, it will get better. I am a chemist and I really do believe this is a virus that attacks this area of the body. Eat healthy--lots of fruit and vegetables , avoid alcohol and any foods that produce mucus like milk products. Take lots of vitamin C and hopefully time will get rid of your condition. I empathize with all of you, but you will get better. I wish you all well. Sincerely Dianne V In Canada. :-D :-D

I now believe Eustation Tube Dysfunction can be a life long battle.
For me in started with a vacation to florida in january of 1989.
A small paper cup with hot paper towel stuffed inside, cup over your painful ear. Helped open up my eustation tube and relieve the pain!

I have been on a alot of different allergy meds over the years.
Drink plenty of H20 to keep mucus clear in your body.

I finally found an Allergist who would give me shots.
I've been in daily pain for about a month now from the shots.
I hope everything will get better once I get on maintenance. :-)

I have been suffering from eustation tube dysfunction since 1987. What has helped me tremendously is taking a Claritin-D, 24-hour formula once daily. It is very helpful in keeping the eustation tube open. When I experience dizziness, I take meclizine, either 12.5 or 25 mgs. If one doesn't provide relief, I take another. It can make you a little sleepy, but that's a lot better than the dizziness. Good luck!

it's been a year for me, i thought i was all alone. i'm exstatic to learn that it's not potentially lethal i can live with it if i have to. i have pain only on rare occations, no ringing but a wicked echo most of the time. I've been taking vitamin c in big doses for about 2 weeks trying to escape the flu, and it seems to be helping my ear !!!!!! \o/ the echo is almost gone, no more pressure, i feel almost like myself again. Also i drink plantain tea every day which is an antibiotic and has anti viral properties. Thank you so much for your posts i had no idea anyone was going through this with me. Try lots a vitamin C and talk to an herbalist or someone about plantain. Maybe if it helped me it can help you. I sincerely hope it does. Thanks again folks =)

Some times it can only last a couple of days , i had a bought of cold then my runny nose dissapeared and then it occured. Swallowing and blowing your nose alot helps. Maybe get a flu Jab ?

Hi - there are various therapies out there that work on cranial bones which help to restructure the shape of the cranium and the body and can give relief from these sorts of conditions - look up amatsu therapy and find someone in your area that can help you - ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed. I am treating a lady at the moment and it is helping a lot. Good luck

I have been suffering for 6 weeks now with both ears totally blocked. I told the ENT doctor that hearing people talk sounded like I was hearing there voice as if they were talking to me under water. I was also having a very difficult time with anxiety, and lack of sleep due to the server ringing, pressure, and pain.

The ENT doctor I saw told me, "I have Eustachian tube dysfunction, and said give it a month and is should clear on its own, the doctor prescribed an OTC antihistamine/decongestant and a steroidal nasal spray". He said, “It was most likely due to a recent flight I took, as the plains cabin pressure caused my Eustachian tubes to close, and it normally takes 1-3 months to clear up, or he could cut my ears, and drain the fluid, and I would have instant relief”. Now to the doctors credit, he did explain how the procedure is done, and any complications that may arise due to this procedure, but he thought it would be better to give it 1 month and see what how things go. 

One week after my first visit, I couldn't take it any longer, I called for an emergency visit to have my ears cut, but when I saw the doctor all he wanted to do was put me on oral Prednisone for 7 days, even though he knew how anxious I was already. As it turned out, I handled the Prednisone well, but now the doctor tells me, "stop taking the Prednisone, as it's not good for me"? What, it was ok just last week, I'm confused, so on goes my saga. The doctors don't want to cut my ears, the doctor feels the extreme anxiety, sleepless nights, pressure and pain is better, and says just hang in there.

I asked the doctor if there is anything else I should be taking for my Eustachian tube dysfunction, I mean is that all there is for Eustachian dysfunction, 1 nose spray, and 1 OTC antihistamine/decongestant. The doctor stated, “Yup, that’s it”. I asked how this Eustachian dysfunction may of happened in the first place, was it due to environmental conditions, or allergies, and how can I avoid this from happening again, as I don’t want to cut my ears if the underlying cause is not fixed. The doctor had no answer, just a blank stair on his face as he sat quietly staring at me.

I really appreciate all those who wrote to this site, as it lets me know I'm not suffering alone. David

Please look up an amatsu therpaist in your area - there are things you cqn do about this

This was very encouraging for me...did this affect your hearing? I have been suffering since January and it is terrible..I notice you had been suffering for 9 months and you had sen the ENT prior when you wrote the message and after that you felt it getting better...did this just happen quickly? I felt my ears getting better then I went on a long journey and that was that I am back with the blown feeling horrilbe oressure feeling...did you feel as if you were talking into yourself? I do and it is horrible..at the moment I am trying a chiropractor but so far no luck.....sorrry for all the questionz

Walking up stairs two at a time, once a day, gets the muscles in the eustachian working better, but please don't do this if you are not fit.

Thank you...I walk an awful lot to get fresh air to see if this helps so I will try going up the stairs two at a time, I will also try the good tip about keeping the window open whilst travelling as I have problems when I travel it usually takes me a day to get over a 4 hour journey...Does anyone have the feeling of talking into themselves as if they have head cold...

Can you tell me how much Vit C you took as I will try this...also how would you explain your echo, think this is what I have but I keep thinking I am talking into myself