No one believes me when i tell them that my ears pop even when i yawn, sneeze, swallow or just open my mouth. When they pop everything sounds so much louder than normal and to un-pop them i have to hold my nose and suck inwards. The doctors all tell me that i am fine but i have lived with it for so long now that it is starting to drive me insane, i could be in the middle of talking to someone and my ears pop so i have to un-pop them. This can happen every 5 minutes or less, even when i try and sleep i yawn so have to un-pop them. Someone please help me and give me and answer as to what is wrong....I'm getting driven mad.

Thanks in advance.

The only thing wrong is you are making them pop by what you're doing when you say you "unpop" them.

The pop you hear when you yawn, sneeze, swallow, is your eustachian tubes opening to allow the pressure to equalize on both sides of your ear drums. When you "suck" in to "unpop" them you are creating an unequal pressure that your body needs to equalize again.

When the pressure is unequal your eardrums can't vibrate as well as they should and your hearing is DEcreased abnormally. The louder condition you describe is your hearing functioning correctly. The reduced level occurs when you have an imbalance in the pressure on both sides of your eardrums.

Hi

I have exactly the same problem, just had op to graft cartliage from the back of my nose into my eutacheon tube to keep it open, it all sounds echoey loud in that ear now, when my ears have popped from me either swallowing yawning, coughing and they just pop on their own, like you this is constant and has been since I was very young, I have to sniff up and hold my brethe to make it normal (unpop)

All of this is sooooo frustrating and cause pain and neck ache etc even worse when I have a cold or ear infection.

I am at my wits end with this and feel no-one ever understands just how it feels, so even if nothing can ever cure it ...you are not on your own and you have my deepest sympathy

Kind Regards

Helen.

Quote:

Lilly_Rose86 wrote:

No one believes me when i tell them that my ears pop even when i yawn, sneeze, swallow or just open my mouth. When they pop everything sounds so much louder than normal and to un-pop them i have to hold my nose and s**k inwards. The doctors all tell me that i am fine but i have lived with it for so long now that it is starting to drive me insane, i could be in the middle of talking to someone and my ears pop so i have to un-pop them. This can happen every 5 minutes or less, even when i try and sleep i yawn so have to un-pop them. Someone please help me and give me and answer as to what is wrong....I'm getting driven mad.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Kind Regards
Helen.

It is so great to find this forum, I have also suffered from this problem since I can even remember, the popping, the un popping, it's all the same, I've been referred to see an ent specialist and pretty sure they will say they can't do anything. It's a very depressing thing to live with, mostly frustrating. If anyone, anyone has any idea how or what causes this, please help!!

I have exactly the same thing you describe in my left ear for 10 years now. In order to hear properly after i yawn or even swallow sometimes i have to plug my nose and suck in. I have been to see a EENT specialist who insists that nothing is wrong with me. The constant muffled hearing and pain just under my ear is making me crazy. Have you gotten any more information regarding this condition? I would do anything to make it better.

I have had the same exact problem for about 10 years -- It started when I cleaned my ears too much , I pushed all the wax back and it built up on my ear drum -- ever since then -- POP POP POP --- I have never had issues until recently , now I get dizzy -- I also have anxiety/panic disorder -- so I am unsure if the dizziness is a manifestation of that , or if my body is finally sending signals to my brain that it is pissed off and not right -- making me dizzy -- either way I need to go see a doctor - living in NJ with no healh insurance or money puts a cramp in things -- Very much distraught.

i have this exact same problem... it happens every couple minutes...to seconds! it started when I was little. my mom doesn't believe me, and doctors just give me nasal spray which does nothing. I'd just like to know what this is, and how I can fix it! it's really embarrassing to have to hold my nose and sniff every few minutes!! please if someone could help I'd be so thankful....

i have never had this happen before and just for the last 2 months now, if i breather in suddenly through my nose my ears both (usually) pop, and i cant hear anything until I do it again, or swallow.  They dont hurt but it is frustrating.  I am afraid it has something to do with the fact that for the last 5 years I have worn those industrial orange ear plugs to bed. (I lost my home of 14 years to the 2008 floods here in Iowa and found myself thrown back into apartment life, and I HATE IT) Compounding my worry, my grandma,(dads mom) was very hard of hearing and wore a hearing aid, and my dad is also and also wears a hearing aid.  My boyfriend says it has something to do with pressure differences?  Help!

Hi, im wondering if anyone has found out more about this??

I don't think that's unusual at all. I think most of us can "pop" our ears. I've been doing it since I was about 5 years old when I had my first ride in Piper Cup. The pilot showed me how to do it. All you are doing is equalizing the air pressure in there. I learned more about Eustachian tubes in the 2nd or 3rd grade.

Here's what Wikipedia says:

"Under normal circumstances, the human Eustachian tube is closed, but it can open to let a small amount of air through to prevent damage by equalizing pressure between the middle ear and the atmosphere. Pressure differences cause temporary conductive hearing loss by decreased motion of the tympanic membrane and ossicles of the ear.[4] Various methods of ear clearing such as yawning, swallowing, or chewing gum, may be used intentionally to open the tube and equalize pressures. When this happens, humans hear a small popping sound, an event familiar to aircraft passengers, scuba divers, or drivers in mountainous regions. Devices assisting in pressure equalization include an ad hoc balloon applied to the nose, creating inflation by positive air pressure.[5] Some people learn to voluntarily 'click' their ears, together or separately, when deliberating doing a pressure equalizing routine by opening their Eustachian tubes where pressure changes are experienced (as in ascending/descending in aircraft flight, mountain driving, elevator lift/drops, etc.). Some even are able to deliberately keep their Eustachian tubes open for a brief period, and even increase or decrease air pressure in the middle ear. The 'clicking your ears' can actually be heard audibly if one puts one's ear to another person's ear for them to hear the clicking sound. Those that are borderline on learning this voluntary control first discover this via yawning or swallowing or other means (above); which later on discover can be done deliberately without force even when there are no pressure issues involved, by 'clicking one's ears'. When the Eustachian Tubes are deliberately held open voluntarily, one's voice sounds louder in one's head than when they are closed."

I have had the same problem since I was about 10 years old, I'm 21 now. It drives me insane! It echo's when you breathe, it is so hard to explain, and I have this fear that one day my ears will pop and something will rupture. I'm upset to see that almost no one had any help with doctors, that's so frustrating. I don't want to live with the fear of rupturing my ear valves! 

I've had the same problem since I was about 5 (im18 now). I had a checkup my ears and the doctor said my ear drums looked "folded over". This really concerns me. I've learned over the years to control the muscle that helps to open the tubes I guess? I don't even have to yawn anymore. But sometimes when I change pressure (elevation) when my ears pop it actually kinda hurts.. I think this all started when I was young and had medical drainage tubes put into my ears while having tonsil removal surgery when I was very young. At this point its been going on so long I worry about hearing loss or very serious, irreversible damage. Good luck everyone and be careful.

The popping was nonstop for me too. My school doc recommended I flush with Murine ear solution, it WORKED!!

Im 34, and my right ear keeps ringing all the time..It never stops!!! I even HAVE to sleep with a fan on, or i cant sleep! Also My ear pops everytime I yawn, sniff and swallow. And lately I have been putting my finger in my ear and its fluid, not wax coming out. You have no idea how embarrissing it is when talking to someone and you have to sniff every few minutes.. I can imagine im on the powder.. Im Actually FINALLY going to the doctor on the 22nd of this month. I had to wait i just moved to Ga, and i have to see a primary doctor first, then maybe he will send me to a specialist. I have tried ear wax removal kits, everything you can think of, nothing works...and sometime it feel like something is in my ear...and i know there isnt because its been going on for years and years now, but its getting to the point the RINging is getting out of control...I hear it all the time..We will see what the doctor says...

And I thought I was the only one, your not alone and sniffing makes your ears feel better. But I can't drink a glass of water without my ears popping loose!