Hello, I had my first airplane flight two weeks ago. During the flight I felt pressure and discomfort in my ears. I even had mild pain in my left ear couple of days after the flight. What caused the pain and pressure in my ear? This is totally new for me, I looked at other people in the plane and everyone seemed to be relaxed except me. Is it possible that only I felt this?

The condition that you experienced is known as “airplane ear” and ear pain associated with flying is due to unequal pressure between your middle ear and the cabin of the airplane. Normally, the eustachian tube, which connects your middle ear to the back of your nose and throat, equalizes the pressure, but if the tube is blocked because of congestion or some other problem, the unequal pressure on your eardrum may impair your hearing and cause ringing in your ear, dizziness and ear pain. Since it passed after a while I don’t think that there is a serious damage of the ear, but if you develop new signs and symptoms see your doctor.