I feeling severe pain in the upper abdomen 2 days. I’ve never felt pain like that before. My dr told me that it is nothing serious and gave me some painkillers!!! Is it possible this could be the sign of pancreatitis?
Anyway, what is exactly pancreatitis and what causes it? What are the most common symptoms?

Well, first of all, I think that you should change your doctor. To give you only painkillers…. I don’t want to comment that… Did you have any tests (e.g. blood)?? Anyway, pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas. It can have many symptoms, but the most common are: severe pain in upper abdomen (the one you have), fever, sweating, rapid pulse, swollen and tender abdomen… I mean, number of these symptoms are common for other diseases but each one of them is connected to similar, abdominal, problems.
The most common cause for pancreatitis is alcohol. If you drink too much of it, you are going to get it – sooner or later. Other cause, but not so common as a previous one, is gallstones. When gallstone blocks the pancreatic duct, that can cause pancreatitis.
Now, if I were you I would pay another visit to dr (but, of course, not the same one). Also, I believe that abdominal specialist is the best solution – he will surely diagnose your problem fast and correctly. Take care

I have been having moderate to severe pain in my abdomin 2nd time this year. I went to the hospital and they said it was my gall bladder (my gall bladder was removed 25 years ago? I believe it may by my pancreas and I also have well controlled type 2 diabetes. Can this pain be due to a bile duct haveing a blockage and causing my pancreas to problems. I am so tired of doctors "not knowing" and or not even suggesting any follow up. I came home from the hospital not knowing anything? I hope some one has a suggestion in terms of questions I might ask the doctor when I see him. Thanks