I’m healthy male person of 29. I’ve started experiencing strange chest pain about two weeks ago. It is actually not pain, but more a kind of chest tightness. It sometimes spreads to my neck and I feel as if I were suffocating, but it usually affects my heart area. This awkward tightness appears in the morning, when I get out of bed, and I have also noticed that the similar discomfort appears when I’m stressed out and tired. Is this dangerous?

It is important to realise that chest pain is not a disorder - it is only a symptom. The sooner you discover the real cause the sooner you will be able to apply the correct treatment, if necessary. The problem with chest pain lies in the fact that the pain is a very loose term that covers all from slight discomfort, numbness or pressure to real pain and the feeling of choking. It also affects other parts of the body, such as upper abdomen, neck, jaws, arms... There are numerous disorders that are characterised by these weird chest sensations - some of them are asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia, pleuritis, heart attack, heartburn, anxiety or panic disorder, benign chest wall pain, different types of angina... As you can see, some of the disorders can be very serious (heart attack being definitely the worst), while others are almost completely benign (benign chest wall pain or mitral valve prolapse). This is the reason why chest pain must be taken very seriously and the best thing to do in this situation is to seek for an expert diagnosis. The cardiologist will check if you have a serious heart condition and need treatment or if you should just try to ignore the pain.