Three days ago I’ve experienced sharp pain in chest, only at the left side. I was working as always and suddenly felt palpitation-like heart rate that made me panic. It all lasted for about 5-6 minutes, not longer than that. The first thing that crossed my mind was heart attack. I’m 40 years old, male, and have no other problems with health, take no medications and exercise twice a week. Should I be worried because of this?

The cause of chest pain does not have to be associated to heart attack. But you should not take your chances, so, visit your physician. Some gastrointestinal disorders can cause chest pain as you experienced, than psychological causes, lung causes, if you are smoker. But among the cardiovascular causes are the most dangerous disorders like angina, heart attack, pericarditis and heart failure. There are the tests and exams that should be performed to discover the cause of your sudden left side chest pain.