Hi, am 27 years old and have a feeling like my heart is skipping beats. Sometimes I even thing that I’m going to have a heart attack. When I went to the hospital, they told me not to worry, that I “only” have a mitral valve prolapse syndrome. Why did they act like it’s nothing serious when my heart was not functioning well?

Hi, I was in the same situation like you. I thought I was having a heart attack and I called an ambulance. When they examined me, I was only told that it’s nothing serious. This was too disturbing for me, so I went to a doctor who wanted to explain me everything about this condition. Mitral valve prolapse is a disorder that affects one of your valves, called mitral valve. It is located between the upper left chamber and lower left chamber of the heart. When it doesn’t work properly, the flaps may move backward into the upper chamber during the heart's contraction. This is important for you and me who have this condition, but I think that the doctors in hospitals act like it’s nothing serious because there are millions of people with mitral valve prolapse, and most of them don’t need any treatment.