I have a friend who told me something scary. He said he has noticed symptoms such as red pimple-like bumps. He said it is accompanied with severe itching. I have seen his skin rash and lesions have visible larva in center of it, so I asked him if he visited a doctor. He said it is Chiggers, but since I have never heard for this, I would like to hear what you could tell me about it.

Chiggers are the larvae of a type of mite found in tall grass and weeds in human. Chigger bites cause severe itching, the same as your friend reported. The mites are found in the southern part of the world, in many countries. They are usually restricted to certain habitats such as berry patches, tall grass and weeds. The larvae attack humans around the waist, the ankles, or in warm skin folds, I guess he could confirm what I am telling you. Itching caused by chigger usually occurs several hours after the larvae attach to the skin. The larvae can sometimes be seen in the center of a red, pimple-like bump that has not been scratched, as you had chance to see it. A doctor can diagnose chiggers by examining the rash, and after this objective of treatment is to relieve the itching. Antihistamines and corticosteroid creams or lotions may be helpful, but this condition could heal itself without treatment. Secondary infection may follow intense scratching as a complication, so your friend could apply home treatment and call health care provider if there are signs of complications of chiggers.