Hi, my teen sister has some sort of a rash on her back, and was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea. Her dermatologist told that her symptoms are mild (the rash is not itchy), and that the treatment is not necessary. Now, a friend of mine had PR two years ago, and he said he used some mild lubricants to get rid of the rash. Should she ask the second opinion? And is PR contagious?

Hi, had this PR myself and used a cortisone cream. But, if symptoms are mild, which is probably your case because there is no itch, no treatment is needed. PR goes away within 6 - 12 weeks. It`s not contagious nor sexually transmitted, but sometimes PR can cause skin reactions, followed by severe itching and, sometimes, tiredness and aching. The rash usually goes away within six weeks but the symptoms can last longer. For mild cases, like yours, Pityriasis rosea is not a dangerous skin condition.