Hello guys. My cat is having a problem with her skin. Her leg is covered with rash and I see that she is in pain. These rash spots are very hot and red. My cat is very nervous and she can't stop licking her leg. I am very sad because I feel so helpless. I asked one of my friends who also has a cat for advice and he told me I need to figure out the cause of rash. Apparently the treatment depends on the cause of rash. And I don't even know what the problem is. Do you know what are the most common rash causing skin problems?

Well, there are so many causes of a rash. Sometimes even the vets cannot determine the exact rash cause. They say it’s an allergy, but they don’t really know. Has that ever happened to you? 

The most common causes are definitely food allergies. Many cats are allergic to certain types of food such as beef, milk, poultry, corn etc.. 

There’s also seasonal allergies (when a cat is allergic to trees or grass). 

Sometimes it’s flea bites or some external parasites. 

There are some shampoos and grooming products that can irritate cats’ skin.

All these skin problems have rash as their main symptom.

Hello, Mima.

There isn’t much I can add to the previous answer. It is true that parasites (fleas, lice, mites) and allergies to the certain ingredients in food are the main causes of skin rash in cats.

Besides these causes, ringworms can be very nasty, as this fungal infection is contagious for humans as well. In rare cases, skin tumors can cause rash, just like stress/anxiety.

Sometimes, rash can be healed on its own, but you cannot rely on that fact. That’s why my recommendation is to visit a vet whenever you see your cat is having any sort of the skin problems. 

Hello everyone. I don’t have a cat, I had cat a few days ago, but I just couldn’t deal with dog and cat at the same time, especially because I am new at this. I don’t have experience and I can’t take care of both of them :) But, my friend Selene had this problem, and it was caused by fleas. I remember that this rash was so intensive that she couldn’t deal with it naturally, so she needed to give her cat some pretty much aggressive antibiotics, because she started to lose her hair. That was not nice at all.

Well, I’m not sure it’s a good idea to talk about these things here on the internet. You will just freak out when someone comes out with all the possible causes, and there is really no need for that. It is usually something easily treatable. Food allergy or flea bites. Sometimes cats make rashes by over-grooming. Yeah over-grooming is a thing. Cats do that sometimes when they’re anxious or stressed. It often results with hair loss. This condition is called feline psychogenic alopecia and it often leads to skin damage and secondary infections. It is treated with antibiotics for the infection.

Hello everyone. Um, there are so many skin problems in cats, and they can be so annoying. I do agree that fleas are the biggest problems in cats, but my cat had food allergies and problems because of it so many times. I mean, all my cats did have this problem as well. So, I do believe that this is very common rash for every cat. I don’t know about other rashes, but I think that sometimes and environment can cause some extremely rash for your cat. Also, I remember that my cat had allergy on some shampoo that I was using to bath her. You see, there are so many causes :)

Hello. When my cat had skin problems it was usually caused by fleas. I really take a good care of her, I really take care of her hygiene as well, but those boring fleas are attacking my cat over and over again. As other said, cats can be very allergic on foods as well. But, there are some substances that can cause allergic reactions in cats, especially those who are really sensitive to them. It can be caused by tree, grass, weed, dust pollens, perfumes, cigarettes, fabric, rubber materials, etc. There are so many options as you can see. Good luck! 

My cat had many different kinds of rashes. Since I am not so much of a cat lover (I’m more of a dog person), I didn’t notice that there are several of them at the same time. I noticed she was scratching and licking herself, but since I know nothing about it, I told my sister (who got me a cat in the first place) to take her to the vet. So she did.

It turned out that she had a food allergy, that’s why she had a rash on her belly. And she also had fleas bites all over her body, which explains the rash she had on her back. Since this vet is a cousin of ours, he told us to leave her at the clinic for a couple of days.

When we came to pick her up, everything was fine. It took him only a couple of days to get rid of the rashes.