Last week my doctor diagnosed me with pneumonia. I was surprised because I had no symptoms except mild abdominal pain. My question is about pneumonia in general. What's causing it and what are the most common symptoms?

Pneumonia is an infection of the lungs. It is caused by a variety of microorganisms including bacterias, parasites and viruses. Pneumonia usually begins after upper respiratory tract infection. Symptoms of pneumonia begin 2 or 3 days after the infection. Depending on the age of the person, symptoms can vary. The most common ones are: fever, caught, chills, abdominal pain, chest pain, rapid breathing, loss of appetite etc. Some types of pneumonia cause symptoms that can give us important clues about which germ is causing the illness. Depending on the type of virus or bacteria causing the infection, the incubation period for pneumonia varies. Common incubation periods are: 4 to 6 days for respiratory syncytial virus and 18 to 72 hours for influenza. Most types of bacterial pneumonia can be cured within 1 to 2 weeks with proper treatment. However, viral pneumonia can last longer and mycoplasmal pneumonia usually takes 4 to 6 weeks to completely resolve.

Could you let us know that what kind of medication could be used to treat bactieral, viral, and mycoplasma pnuemonia?

Thanks!!

John