Hi, folks. I have been recently diagnosed with chondromalacia. I felt a terrible pain in my knee in almost every position. My doctor recommends me surgery, but I am still not sure. Should I say yes to this? What is your opinion? I would really like to hear out all your opinions before making my mind.

Hi to you too. I have heard that chondromalacia surgery is usually reserved for more serious cases. Is your case that serious? Usually, treatment starts with knee rest and painkillers. There are also special exercises. I know that arthroscopy is a microsurgical method. It is not so dangerous. A doctor makes only small incision in your knee. He places a thin, like a needle, instrument through it. With the instrument, he removes the damaged fragments of cartilage. I hope this helps.

Hello. I have also heard something similar. Arthroscopy is not so complicated procedure. Side effects are usual like for any other procedure. Complications are bleeding, infection or reactions to the applied anesthetic. There is realignment procedure as well. This is indicated for even more serious cases. I hope this helps you. Good luck with all! Please, let me know what you decide.

I was diagnosed with a pretty severe case of chondromalacia a year or so ago. I tried to relieve the pain with physical therapy but that didn't work. I then had what was called a lateral release procedure which is done arthroscopically. Had I done more research on this procedure I would have learned that it almost never effective. Sometimes it can do more damage than good.

Mine didn't help but didn't hurt the cause either. This summer I have to get realignment surgery. I am only 27... scary stuff.

My advice... research what he plans on doing. Lateral release does not have great success but patella scraping of the frayed cartilage may help you out some if your case is not severe.