HI! I have glomerulonephritis. I have chronic kidney pain (back ache) caused by this disease. Also I have hypertension. What did cause this disease? Did this disease cause hypertension? Doctor prescribed me antibiotics. Tell me something more about treatment. Thank you!

Strep infection is the most common cause of glomerulonephritis. For glomerulonephritis, treatment consists of antibiotics for any bacterial infection and rest. The treatment may continue for one to two weeks after tests of blood, blood pressure, and the urine indicates that the kidneys are back to normal. Sodium and protein may be restricted. You can ask your doctor to tell you more about treatment, and about prognosis. I wish you a best.

There definitely are several types of glomerulonephritis and even though some forms of glomerulonephritis are caused by infection, even to the point where respiratory infection such as strep throat was present few days earlier, some forms of this condition are caused by other factors: even some medications can cause it (usually it´s abuse of drugs such as heroin, but penicillin poisoning can cause it, too).

As far as hypertension is concerned, chances are it had little to do with glomerulonephritis, especially since you are on antibiotics treatment. That means that most likely cause for the condition is an infection, a bacterial one, and as soon as the antibiotics eradicate the bacteria that caused glomerulonephritis, the condition will get better and cured.