Late last monday evening I was starting to have a fever and get the chills, this continued for several days and then that friday I went to the doctor b/c my throat had started hurting. The doc did a strep test (positive) gave me some penicillin and sent me on my merry way. Now again on Monday the fever has subsided but I can't kick the sore thrat and I've been taking penicillin for 4 days. Also, now my gums are incredibly swollen throughout my mouth. Are these two linked? Could this be a sign of mono?

I've gone through similar steps and am currently halfway through my penicillin, with the fever gone but still really swollen gums. Did you ever figure your situation out? thanks.

Hey guys.....I went to the Doctor on Monday of this week and was tested positive for strep throat. A few days into the treatment I have discovered that I have VERY swollen red gums all over my mouth. Are Strep Throat and red gums related?? If anyone can help that would be great!

I have mono (currently) and I have red, swollen gums. I test negative for Strep, but the doctor gave me penicillin anyway, in case I had a different bacterial infection. I've taken 4 of the 10 penicillin pills, and my gums are the same - perhaps even a bit more swollen. I wonder if this might be more related to the mono.

it's been a while since the questions... i'd look into a herpes virus.. gingivostomatitis. Swollen red gums with fever. My children each have had it at different times. Antibiotics will DEFINATELY IRRITATE it!!!!!!!

Hey, I'm currently getting over the flu and my gums have been swollen throughout the whole illness and are painful even though I'm getting over. There are no sores just uniform swelling and redness. My lymph nodes and tongue are swollen as well and I'm having difficulty eating. Any body have any ideas? My dentist said it is probably a reaction to having a fever but my bodies never acted like this before. He said to see my doctor if it persists for another 4 days, I've only been sick for 3.

I have Strep throat right now. My gums towards the back are very swollen and my wisdom tooth on the right bottom side seems to have a soar on it. It's kind of bloody and it really hurts. The Penicilin I think is just to get rid of the infection in the throat not the swollen gums so I found the more I was taking it, the more irritated my gums became. I've taken 9 pills. My throat is better and my gums are simmering down a bit. It is related I believe. It has NOTHING to do with herpes. It's a common infection. Fevers and chills are a symptom. I had a fever of 102. So it can get pretty bad. Regardless, I have to eat mashed potatos and mashed bananas for God's sake. If the pain really gets to you, take Advil as well. It kills the fever and takes the pain away a little bit. Hope this helps!

I've always found that if you put a heaped tablespoon of Sea Salt and dissolve it into a warm to hot as you can stand it glass of water and gargle for 20 min at a time. It helps to disenfect your gums and helps with getting rid of the throat problem as well. Stings a little, but gets better each time its done. Will help with getting the tooth put to rights as well. Natural cures are usually the best.

I had tonsilitus...and was given penicillin...my gums swelled up i lowered my dose to reduce the gum pain and went to the dentist, he said i also had a gum infection which can react badly to the penicillin this maybe what caused your problems

On Sunday I had a bad fever and chills. I left early from work on Monday and went to a walk in clinic. They did not do a culture. But they did say I had a severe throat infection which they called tonsilitis. I have been on Penicillin 500mg 3 times a day since Monday it is now Friday and I am still in excrusiating pain. My tonsils are still very swollen, I cannot swallow or drink without trying to brace myself and basically almost crying. I went back to the doctor yesterday and he said he did think it was getting better - still very far from normal - but better. Today I am going to try to get in today to see my PCP or go to an ER. Im just not sure this is right. I havent eaten anything since Tuesday morning!

i had strep throat recently and my mom said that i could have penecillin pills or a shot..Granted, the shot hurt like hell and was in my hip, but it worked in about 3-4 days which was nice. If you have the option, a penecillin shot would be good.
oh yeah and common syptoms are..
(well at least mine were)
-hurts to swallow, talk etc.
-chills
-cough
-congestion
-headache
-ear pain
-body aches

yeah i think thats it...

Hope this helped!!
:-P

I went to the doctor after extreme pain in my throat and swollen gums plus a swollen tongue... I haven't eaten in days and I've been on pellicillin for my second day now. I've noticed my fever going down already but, has anyone else experienced white painful bums on their tongue??? I feel like I'm the only one ... I've been dealing with the pain by taking motrin and practically drinking chloraseptic spray... Eating is followed by a burning sensation so I have given up on that, just been drinking as much water as I can without spending minutes grimacing in pain

I am suffering with the same symptoms and have no solution yet. Just letting you know your not the only one

I have the same thing! I started to get a sore throat under my chin my lymph nodes were swelling and then my throat started to swell up 2 days later. I have had a fever and chills for 3 days now and my gums are in my much pain it hurts to clench my teeth and they are really red behind my bottom front teeth especially and on the back right hand side on the bottom. I went to the doctors today and he gave me penacillin 300mg 4 times a day is this going to help my gums or do i have gum diseause or something ? :S

Was put on antibiotics for a bladder infection. Within days my gums started to swell and my throat is itchy. I think it might be the medication. Cipro