4 days ago I began having severe throat problems, my tonsils became irritated and bloated, my tongue swelled up, eating, drinking and swallowing were becoming increasingly painful. Two days later I received the diagnosis of strep throat (no test was actually performed) and hurried to get my antibiotics...2 days have passed and my symptoms are still worse. My uvula has elongated and my tonsils barely give 1cm of room to either side. Also if i swallow my uvula becomes lodged in my throat and I gag. Does anyone have any idea what sickness this is, because I don't think my symptoms should be getting worse now that I'm taking antibiotics

I had exactly the same thing you described happen to me. First I went a week without antibiotics and seriously suffered -- it was assumed I had a virual infection since it wasn't strep, so the bacterial infection grew over that time. Then I started taking the antibiotic and felt a little better, until four days later when the ear and throat pain became unbearable and I couldn't swallow. I was told that this sometimes happens and was given vicodine for the pain ... but I still question, is it normal? And how strange that someone else had the same thing -- is it a particular strain of disease? I'm in Northern California.

lol u have pooh cough

your condition might be so bad that antibiotics are not enough to help. You may still have a bacterial infection. This has happened to me before because my strep throat was so bad and my tonsils were so large pills could not work. I had to go to the hospital and have antibiotics injected in me through an IV and my condition got better within a half hour. hope this helps

i have the same thing.I went to the doctors and she just glanced down my throat for about 2 seconds and said strep throat.i took all of my antibiotics and its seems to be getting worse.so im thinking she misdiagniosed me.i would call the doctor and tell him your condition.

i have the same thing and i live in northern california too. did you end up having to go to the hospital to get it fixed? because my doctor said the symptoms are supposed to go away today but i don't think thats anywhere near happening.

I live in Northern california and am experiencing the same thing right now.  It is tuesday now and i started feeling crappy on friday.  I went to my college student health service center and they gave me penicillin yesterday but i dont feel any better. Maybe worse. I have a fever, headache, it hurts to swallow, my nose is dripping, and im just plain exausted. Ive been taking advil to dull the pain but once it wears off I feel worse everytime. should i wait it out? Help please, im in PAIN!!!!

I grew up having severe strep throat several times a year and always prescribed penicillin, which worked back then. I was supposed to have my tonsils out around age 14, but one bad sunburn led me to take aspirin which thinned my blood out enough to the point that I didn’t pass the pre-op bleeding test. So they cancelled surgery and we never rescheduled. Boy....I wish we would have! Fast forward 30 years and, while I don’t get step as often as I did when I was a kid, I still get it and no amount of antibiotics help it. Currently, As I am typing this, I have strep throat again!! And, after a lot of research on the all-knowledgable, ever-opinionated WEB, I have decided to ride this one out on my own. What I know is that whether I go to the doctors and begin the typical round of steroids and antibiotocs, or I don’t go to the doctors and just try to get through to the other side, I will feel the same through either process. The last 2-3 times I have had strep I have finished the entire dosage as recommended but still had severe pain and ended up getting the strep again a few weeks later. So, I figure, that maybe I will build up an immunity to the strep if I just rode it out without the antibiotics. Currently, I am in a lot of throat pain and achy, but I am managing the pain by alternating ibuprofen and Tylenol. Today, however, I started alternating one Aleve with Tylenol. I think ibuprofen works better, but in afraid of the damage that it may do in the long run when I take it 10-12 days in a row. Yes!! Strep pain stays with me for at least 2 weeks before I notice it really starting to make the downhill approach. What a miserable thing to have. So sorry for all of you that are in the same boat, but I think as children we were put on antibiotics so much that we just don’t see them working anymore. So glad that the culture’s perspective on this is beginning to change. I’m not saying that there isn’t a time and place when prescribed antibiotics are needed. Because they definitely do work wonders sometimes, but when they don’t do anything when they prescribed, then they probably do more damage than we think because they wipe out our gut health in the process.