This is my first time posting as well as my first time ever trying to self-diagnose on the internet. I have never been remotely close to being a hypochondriac but it certainly feels like I am turning into one.

I am a 33 year old male and am experiencing daily lightheadedness which at times gets so bad that it feels like I may faint. I have never in my life fainted before so this is a really scary thing for me.

It all started about 6 months ago. I was sitting at work reading some articles when all of a sudden I experienced this overwhelming feeling of constant lightheadedness, I immediately stood up and started walking around but the lightheadedness did not go away. I went downstairs for some fresh air and that seemed to help. I started walking back upstairs but almost immediately started feeling lightheaded again.

I went back downstairs and called my wife to have her come pick me up and take me home. When we got home I thought I would start feeling better but it things only got worse, not only was I lightheaded but my heart was beating rapidly, my fingers were tingly, I started experiencing sharp pains in my arms and legs. I honestly felt like I was dying.

My wife drove me to the ER to have the doctors make sure I wasn't experiencing a heart attack. They performed an EKG as well as a chest X-Ray and found nothing abnormal. At the time the only way I could describe my symptoms was dizziness so they prescribed me motion sickness medication and antibiotics for a possible inner ear infection to treat me for vertigo.

Sometimes 1 word can make all the difference. Had I said lightheadedness instead of dizziness I probably would have had a totally different prescription.

So from here, my mind was set at ease because Vertigo although uncomfortable is not life threatening. After a few days.

I took a week off from work so that I could rest and hopefully feel better. To be honest the resting certainly helped because I did start to feel better. After about 2 days back at work I start getting lightheaded again and was starting to get worried so I made an appointment with my PCP. They took my blood, checked my blood pressure, oxygen all came back normal. The doc suggested Anxiety and honestly I was surprised that I hadn't thought of that before because I have had a lot of things going on in my life at that point as well as my responsibilities at my job which keep increasing causing me more and more stress.

He prescribed me Ativan and told me to see him again in a month to see how things are going. I have never been a drug user and the only thing I have an addiction to is smoking. I was not about to start taking drugs that I could become addicted to and later would have to suffer from withdrawal symptoms. So I decided to fill the prescription but not take it. This went on for about 2 weeks until I finally broke down and couldn't take being lightheaded anymore. It was literally all day long lightheadedness sometimes more sometimes less but all day long until I got home and relaxed. Here's the crazy part. I took a .5mg Ativan and 30 min later started feeling like a million dollars. I felt like myself again.

So I figured, ok, now I know for sure that it is all in my head, it must be anxiety. I stopped taking the Ativan that same day, felt good for about 3 to 4 days and then the lightheadedness came back. At this point I didn't want to rely on the Ativan to make me feel better so I started drinking hard liquor to see if it would help. I figure a shot of whiskey each day isn't going to kill me. Well that went on for about a week. I started feeling really good when drinking so again I thought it must be in my head but I didn't want to live my life drinking every day so I stopped that.

Went back to the doctor, he suggested that it is anxiety for sure since the Ativan helped so he prescribed Prozac which again I was afraid to take so I procrastinated about a week before I started taking it. When I started I was hit pretty hard with the side effects, some depression, lightheadedness, fatigue, questioning what life is all about and why to live it. No suicide thoughts or attempts though.

I tried Prozac for a month, didn't help. I stopped Prozac all together and didn't take Ativan either for a solid 2 weeks I actually started feeling better one day at a time until the lightheadedness came back, I took 1mg of Ativan and started taking 1mg of Ativan Daily.

My day went something like this.

Wake up, feel fine no lightheadedness. Get in the shower, about 15 min later get out of the shower, still feeling fine, no lightheadedness. 5 min later, lightheadedness starts. 10 min later lightheadedness gets worse. Take 2 ativan (1mg) and start driving to work. 1 hour after taking the Ativan, lightheadness is gone. 8 hours later drive home, relax, watch tv, eat dinner and in bed by 10 or 11 wake up at 6:00 next day and experience the same routine.

I read somewhere that Ativan can cause lightheadedness so I forced myself after 1 whole month of taking it daily to stop once and for all.

Its now been 2 weeks since I stopped Ativan but I still wake up lightheaded after my shower and the lightheadedness seems to subside a few hours after I get home from work.

Just this weekend after 2 weeks of no Ativan I took 1 .5mg tablet on Saturday afternoon because I couldn't deal with the lightheadedness and wanted to enjoy my weekend. 30 min after I took the pill the lightheadedness went away and stayed gone all day saturday and didn't even come back Sunday morning. Stayed gone all day Sunday but came back this morning.

Am I going crazy? Is it all just anxiety? If so, who is that possible? Could I have anxiety without knowing it? I really want to be myself again.

My wife is very supportive but I know she must be getting tired of this. I am afraid for her to leave the house when I am home because I fear that my lightheadedness will make me faint 1 day and I want to make sure that there is always someone around just in case. I'm suffering at my job because the lightheadedness makes it very difficult to concentrate. I just really want my life back...

Is there anyone else that has a similar story? experiencing some of the same symptoms or perhaps even a way to make the lightheadedness go away?

I know exactly how you feel! every since I was about 12 this started happening to me, it got worse as the years went on(I'm 21 now) and I promise you its just anxiety .. as much as I feel lightheaded which is almost 247 I have never once passed out! hopefully that gives you some relief .. I know it's scary and nobody understands unless they're goin through it too .. you will be ok! you wont pass out or die (: if you have any questions feel free to ask!

Lightheadedness can be caused by low blood pressure which can be improved by drinking lots of water.

Don't take drugs from the quacks. They do not know what causes it. If they did they wouldn't give you medicine that doesn't fix it. It is dehydration. Drink your body weight in ounces of water everyday and POTASSIUM will handle it. So If you are 125 lbs drink 125 oz of water per day. Also, electrolytes work. Gatotade works too but there is a lot of sugar in it.

hi, Chrfle when i read what you wrote its like this is me! i am experiencing the exact same issues like you, the ativan etc.... i too stopped ativan for about 2 weeks then start once a week but dont want to take it anymore...i see this post is 1 month old? has anything got better yet, as i am dying to stop this lightheadedness daily:(

Hi NicK,

just wondering if you still had the lightheadednes?

Hi,It all started  3 weeks ago, on a saturday, i was feeling extremely well and healthy, and i was thinking to myself," Wow this is LIFE, ... then tat night i had diarrhea and slept v late and woke up v early,,from that time onwards, my nightmare started.i started with the 1st week, with 2-3 episodes of sudden dizziness (in my head),, not tat i see things spinning.I could be doing somethg, then suddenly i feel my head inside spin,, and then i got scared.Then i was afraid to go out alone, cos i feel unsteady when i walked, though i never fell, but felt like it sometimes.Then 2nd week, a new symptom came,, i felt the back of my head feels heavy,, and when it felt really heavy, i would feel kinda dizzy in the head and felt imbalance.This persisted till 3rd week.Now, 4th week, the heavy head seems to get lesser BUT I can have constant light headedness 24/7.occasionally i also have weird numbness on my scalp, and "moving" (doesnt stay for long,, like a few secs) mild pains anywhere in my headI went to see my GP who told me is stress, anxiety??I told her i was scared of brain tumor, but she said my symptoms are not brain tumor symptoms.I just feel kinda "unbelief" that anxiety /stress can cause light headedness persistently??and anyway,, i feel my stress/anxiety is brought on by the symptoms,, NOT the other way round.Oh yes,, one day i did aerobics,, and few hours later, the heavy head was gone for 2 days,, but the light headedness came back before bedtime at night.I have BPPV also,, but it's not so bad as in i dun get horrible vertigos like last time,, just tat when i lie on the bed, and move my head, i spin a bit, but it's not always.Im just concerned of this constant light headedness. oh yes, i also get pressure on the bridge of my nose, and very rarely i feel my face like numb?? yesterday and today,, i felt i couldnt see well, like a bit blurry? in the dark,, but if i see out of the window where is sunny, it's clear.My GP tested me, i could walk straight, and i have no headaches,,so she just told me is stress/ anxiety.My husband said im sedentary, always at the computer,, and possible our memory foam bed,, but he doesnt get it,, so i doubt is the bed??

Hi everyone, the lightheadedness is still there. It doesn't seem to be as bad as before but I think my anxiety has been getting worse. I am now feeling chest pains on the left and right of my chest, my left arm has a dull pain like the kind of pain you get from a tetanus shot. I get pains in my calf and thigh as well. Back pain also has been on and off. I am also having really bad heart burn. If I eat or drink anything with a pH lower than 7 I get really bad Acid Reflux. I have quit smoking, I have quit drinking. I am still taking Ativan .5mg per day on almost a daily basis.

I think I have now scared myself to the point where I think I have something wrong with my heart. I started exercising 4 weeks ago, 30 min a day on the treadmill 5 days a week.

I've also changed my diet to a high fiber diet and make sure that I eat the recommended daily values from the food groups.

I just did a sleep study about 2 weeks ago and they told me that I have a mild case of sleep apnea ( stop breathing about 19 times every hour while sleeping ). Doc says this could explain my fatigue and possibly my lightheadedness. Since its mild, he said I could get an oral device rather then the c-pap machine. Working on that now.

To put my mind at ease I had my PCP give me referral to a Cardiologist which I saw just 2 days ago. He checked me out, blood pressure, oxygen, heart rate, EKG, all looks good. He did schedule me in for an ECHO and Stress Test as well as a holter monitor. This is all happening next month. I don't think there is anything wrong with my heart but I just want to be on the safe side and make sure and also set my mind at ease.

It really does bother me that Anxiety can basically ruin your life. Your own brain is turning against you.

Anyways, its great to see all of these replies with others having similar issues. We will all make it through this, just think positive. I will update again after I start using the device for sleep apnea and let everyone know if anything has changed.

I have exactly..............and I mean exactly the same symptoms as you...........same scenario. My chiropractor suggested adivan also. My family doctor said it was vertigo whereas I know that it is not. I will as my doctor to prescribe adivan and see how it works. Thanks for YOUR story and hopefully it will work for me.

I have been having lightheadedness a lot lately.It started back when I got really stressed out at work.I sometimes feel like I am going to fall down.
I've also been getting a lot of headaches and nose bleeds.Was thinking about going to Doctor but didn't know if it would do any good.

I am going on two weeks experiencing the same symptoms. I've been to the ER 3 times, my doctor 2 times and my cardiologist 1 time during this time. Although I feel lightheaded and faint, I have not passed out. I've  had this fear to be left alone because I feel I might pass out and die.  At first it was said my symptoms were cause because I was dehydrated because I had low potassium and magnesium levels. The next few days my symptoms continued and further tests revealed I had no deficiencies. Doctors then suggested that it was stress because all blood tests, EKG, Chest Xray, blood pressue and heart rate have been normal. I've been through some stressful situations during my 40years of life and have never felt like this. I don't feel stressed at this point in my life. my second ER visit my magnesium levels were low again and I tested positive for H-Pylori which is a bacteria in the stomach. I began the antibiotic treatment and eliminated Wheat, gluten, dairy and soy from my diet. I have felt better, my symptoms have improved but I am still having, lightheaded, dizzy and faint episodes. I had my third visit to the ER yesterday after a experiencing a horrible dizzy and faint episode. All my blood work and tests showed everything was great. So why am I feeling the way I am? I truly hope its the bacteria in my stomach since I am still having issues with my bowels. The bacteria in my stomach is not allowing my body to extract the nutrients from the food.

Yes my name is Flor and I also go thru the same thing I take paxil and it makes me very lightheaded all day I sweat and get very nervous with it I've been taking it for 1whole week now I'm hoping it starts to kick in so because I really fear in fainting and I also feel afraid to faint !! All I can say is god bless you and keep your head up

Wow I am having the exact same symptoms. It started 2 weeks ago out of the blue.

Hi, I found it interesting that the Ativan helped.......so it must be anxiety. My doctor refused to give me anything saying I needed a psychologist, which didn't help me at all actually. Still had the rotten light heady feeling no matter how positive I am.
I have suffered for over 10 years now with this problem. The first 7 years it was on and off....but now its part of me. Not severe, just a very mild lightheaded feeling which can feel worse in supermarket or when driving. I used to have what seemed to be attacks of very bad light-headedness, stopping me from driving to work, but it would pass and I'd be normal again.
One day about 6 years ago I had a severe panic attack out of the blue, at traffic lights, and now I have an awful phobic situation, where if I am stuck at traffic or lights I would have another one. Starts with really bad light-headedness. So I don't drive out of my little area, which has no lights, congestion, thank goodness, and catch buses into city and suburbs . No more traffic congestion or traffic lights for me, as the panic attack was unbearable. I cannot face exposure therapy as I feel I need to be stable in my head first, then I would be more confident. Interestingly, for me, as a woman, I get an elevated lightheady feeling every month. One week prior to that time of the month.
I keep thinking it has to be triggered by something biological, as I too don't suffer from anxiety issues as far as I am aware. But my sister has panic disorder, so could be purely biological? I am forever searching for answers. I am very fit otherwise.
Trying magnesium at the moment. Sure is a difficult problem to fix. PS Alcohol definitely makes it worse.

Your situation sounds very similar to mine . I start off feeling good in the morning but as the day progresses I become increasingly lightheaded and dizzy . I was also prescribed Ativan and it does help but I mg lasts me just 4 hours before it's therapeutic effects disappear. I've been to neurologists , ENTs , heart specialists and even spent a week at the Mayo clinic but no answers . Have you had anymore
Success with different medications ? ...thanks Brent