We have just returned from our holiday, and I can freely say it was like holiday in hell! We did have lot of fun for first couple of days but the first time we ate some fish in a small beach restaurant, problems began for my husband. Constant vomiting, diarrhea, headaches were all he experienced in the last couple of days. When we came home and he went to his doctor, news was bad – Ciguatera poisoning!

This truly is unfortunate. Ciguatera poisoning occurs when a person eat marine species (moray eel, parrotfish, amberjack, even barracuda). The symptoms you have mentioned are standard for this condition but there are more, such as muscle pain, numbness, ataxias, even hallucinations… There is no effective cure for this disease. And the worst things is , that those symptoms might last for years!