Hi everyone.

I recently quit smoking marijuana. I was not a hard user but did use daily. It completely dealt with my stress and anxiety issues. I quit May 2nd. I dealt with what I thought were withdrawal symptoms from smoking. Problem is I only smoked two years and not that heavy. I took frequent breaks from smoking and never had any withdrawals aside from some slight irritability and a tension headache for a day or two.

Back history. I was overweight and started getting back into shape. As a main component of doing this, tuna became a nightly staple of my diet (great protein, low in fat and calories.) I would say I ate tuns 5/7 nights for 8-9 months. I weighed at my most 210 and am now and have been sitting in the 155-160 range for nearly 8 months.

Immediately upon smoking cessation the withdrawals were rampant. This was very odd to me. Was shaking like crazy, bad anxiety, slept 3 hours the first week, couldnt get continual sleep for the first month. My kidneys were sore off and on. There was much more but this really isn't important in what im asking.

40 days in everything seemed pretty normal, I was eating, sleeping much better and having only minimal problems with anxiety. I did have some bad bouts of unusually large cankersores. I used apple cider vinegar as a mouthwash and gargle before bed to get rid of them. I brushed my teeth immediately after these washes. The day after the last bout of cankersores had subsided, I woke up with this metallic slimy feeling all over my cheeks and inside of my mouth. I also had a small remaining lesion on my upper right gum that had come the same time as my canker sores. I didn't think much of it and gave it a week and it has stayed pretty much the same. I decided to look and see what the hell it was the other day. I noticed that on my upper teeth above the brushing line of my gums and lower than the brushing line on my bottom teeth, that it was an inflamed red. I touched the gums, and they felt normal, and didn't bleed or feel overly sensitive. I then looked at what I thought was a lesion. In actuality, it is either bone or the tooth poking through my gums. I also noticed this on my (canines I think) on my bottom teeth. It's not a great deal but I can definitely feel it running my tongue across it.

I then randomly remembered a friend of mine giving me c**p saying I was gonna get mercury poisoning from eating tuna every night. There was no warnings or anything on the cans so I discounted it as one of those urban legends that never seem to pan out but everyone swears to be truth. So I spent the other night doing some reading online about recommended amounts and amounts that can cause damage of chunk light tuna fish. Apparently I was using about 6 times the threshold suggested:( So I then went and looked for some information regarding symptoms and complications of the mercury poisoning. Upon one of the biggest apparently is gum and mouth issues.

I am not really scared about this because I have stopped consuming tuna as of a month ago and from my understanding with taking centrum daily and vitamin c twice daily, that I should just excrete it all through my pee (although it says it can take up to a year).

What I do wish to gather some information on is the likelihood of this being mercury poisoning as related to my gums? Also, if this sounds like any other possibilities to anyone? If it is mercury poisoning, can my gums be fixed? Naturally? I'm going to start brushing with baking soda and peroxide I've heard it is better than the flouride used in most toothpastes.

I already am going into the dr. tomorrow to see if this is in fact mercury poisoning but am also wishing to alleviate my concerns on the dentist side of things. I do not have insurance at the moment so unless something becomes very threatening I just cannot afford to go to both the dr. and dentist. Seeing as I have some skin issues that could be stemming from this as well, it takes priority in my eyes.

Any information or advice would be awesome! Thanks:)

Thank you for sharing your personal experience with us. Melatonin supplements, taken 2 hours before bedtime, may help you sleep better. Regular physical exercise can help you deal with withdrawal symptoms. If you use chewing tobacco, you have a much greater chance of developing oral cancer than someone who doesn't.

I'm a little skeptical that you actually got mercury poisoning if only for the fact that it's a pretty rare occurrence even though Jeremy Piven allegedly got it. I think that the canker sores and everything in your mouth is more related to all of the smoking you did instead. Can you tell me what happened and what the doctor said? I would like to know!

I am uninsured so went to one of the urgent cares nearby. The dr looked at me like I was crazy listing off all the symptoms I had, and showing him all these different skin irritations and such. He thought it was weird having so many differeny symptoms simultaneously. I had the hair follicle test done. He also questioned about family medical history and if there was anyone with lupus.

It took a week for them to call me back, and he said they couldn't get a reading from my sample, which I think is just ridiculous. I have cut out milk from my diet and my stools are fine now. I only have cramping in my left side late at night now. I started using oramd for my gums and it seems like it is helping. There are times however when my teeth feel weighted. I have also google imaged receding gums and I have to say mine don't look like most, although they definitely are receding. It's strange because right around my teeth like where I brush, they are pink, and normal. Then if you divided the gums into halves, the half that is not directly connected to the teeth is red. I also have some cyst like formations, one under my tongue and one attached to that tendon right in front of my two front teeth. I'm completely perplexed right now, I can't even figure out any possibilities when it comes to the dental stuff. Towards the back of my tongue there is bacteria there, despite brushing the tongue and using mouthwash, possibly that could help figure something out?

I am not gonna push the mercury poisoning thing any longer, as it seems like it or whatever it was is waning. I go by the if it aint broke dont fix it moniker. With that said, that is why I am now fully turning my focus to my mouth.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I think it's very odd that I only had the metallic taste for one day. Can anxiety cause all of this? And the severe insomnia I had?

Well to be honest if I forget to brush my teeth or something like that I usually have a metallic taste in my mouth so who knows what it is? i'm just glad it's not actually mercury poisoning. If you can, try to see if you can see a physician next time instead of urgent care because they usually aren't able to help you as much. I know you don't have insurance right now but try to get it so that you can get tested more thoroughly... Thanks for letting me know!

Well f**k. I'm pretty worried right now. I think I have come to the core of my problem. I have a dead right rear molar that broke off about 5 years ago (the top basically came off). I always knew it needed attention eventually but never have had any pain or other issues from it. I always kept it as clean as possible. Now I have this horrible smell in my mouth and despite great oral hygiene there is also bacteria on my tongue. When I use mouthwash (which is non alcoholic so it SHOULDNT burn) I'll let the tongue sit in it for a few seconds, and it brings tears to my eyes it burns so bad.

I just did some research and it seems like the infection is spreading throughout my body, judging from the symptoms; my stomach and liver. What do I do here, this feels very serious and extremely threatening. I am unemployed at the moment because of this three month period of pain and suffering, and my dad just got laid off in april. I don't know what to do! The receding in the gums is occurring quicker and quicker it seems. Feels like I have days until teeth start falling out:(

Gosh, I'm really sorry to hear about that! I didn't know that you had an empty socket, otherwise I'd have told you to see a dentist right away! Dentists are usually much cheaper than doctors and you can work out a payment plan. I think that first and foremost that you should do that. See a dentist first. See if he would recommend you going to a doctor? Don't let the fear of having debt keep you from getting treatment. You need help and they usually will work out a payment plan or reduce the price. Just be sure to go! Let me know, okay?

Hey there, it's been quite awhile since you last updated! I want to know if you're doing better? Did you get any treatment for your broken tooth? I'd like to hear how things are going! Thanks :-)

My brother got very ill from celiac disease. You should cut out wheat and see if that s you better. Be vigilant and do it for a month-not easy. The Drs told him ere was nothing wrong despite many symptoms  they accidentally gave him a mri and saw inflammation in his small intestines. It can cause many different symptoms, is common, and easy for u to test by yourself.

Don't be so quick to discount mercury poisoning. My amalgams were going bad and I got those same symptoms with my gums. I had them removed and I'm going to remove the heavy metals and start oil pulling. Don't let traditional medicine tell you you're crazy. Mercury toxicity is way more common than some doctors will admit or believe.