Couldn't find what you looking for?

TRY OUR SEARCH!

Quote:

Posted: 09/15/06 - 01:12 Post subject: Lip problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, everyone. I also have had problems recently with swollen, tingly, painful, chapped, scaling, lips with tiny little sores. At first I thought it was a food allergy, and then ezcema of the lips, but now I think it might be an allergy to something in Blistex medicated lip balm with SPF 15. In any case, WHAT HAS WORKED for me is applying a thin layer of hydrocortisone creme/ointment twice daily until the problem clears, and whenever I suspect that the problem is coming. Wait until it dries completely, and then moisterize if needed. When my lips were really scaly and no lip balm or gloss would do, I just left them dry (but stayed in the house) and everything eventually fell off with repeated hydrocortisone applications. I used Soventol HC from the pharmacy, but I'm not sure if it's available elsewhere; I'm not sure what concentration the equivalent would be, but maybe start with the lower dosage. Good luck! I hope this helps.



Hi guys,

Just want to share what happened to me past 4 years. Whatever you guys experience - I experience the same.

First encounter this weird allergic around my mouth in year 2007 on holiday. Around my mouth was swollen, rash, harden, burning sensation, liquid formed inside the swollen part. I didn't know what caused it... Im very sad and I thought it could be lobster that I ate, or sunburn.

2nd encounter same year 2007 (it's holiday again), went to beach resort and this is the worst case I had of the same type allergic - my whole mouth swell like gold fish and it's really gross and painful. I was very sad and it was first day of my holiday so I went to see local doctor, he only gave me cream to apply it. I went to skin specialist when I get back and doctor can't pin point what is the caused of the allergic - I even showed him photos of me with the swollen mouth/lips. He recommended I do further test - U.V test.etc but I decided not to. It took me 2 weeks to recover.

with the above two incidents, I have always avoid beach resort/sun holiday. It's very sad because I love beach!

3rd encounter 2008 (it's holiday AGAIN), on the plane I got the rashes - same symptom. I went to sleep and drink lots of water and when I woke up it's gone

4rd encounter 2008 (same holiday), my mouth feel funny and rashes, burning sensation and harden around mouth - ta daa... swell again! This is the incident where I think I know what caused this. A friend of mine said that her friend got allergic to BLISTEX! I then realize all the allergic incident that happened to me is because I had BLISTEX applied to me. It's is "BLISTEX Daily Lip Conditioner". It took me 3 days to recover, I took antihistamin, drink lots of water. Which is why I quoted the entry above on BLISTEX

5th encounter 2008, thought that is the only caused of my allergic. I went to buy new lip product on the plane back and apply it directly. Tadaa...I got it again! It is the "Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Lip Protectant Stick SPF 15".

So my conclusion, it could be the ingredient that is in both of these lip product that I use. Based on my research and read up on this forum - it could be the sun agent that caused the allergic.

To avoid this in future (my two cent); don't use lip product, if you accidently use lip product and feel tingling or burning sensation rub it off and wash it immediately - drink a lot of water and rest.

Question: is it true that once you got the allergic - you will be more prone to allergic next time?

Thanks guys for sharing in this forum - it is very useful and amazing how all the things around us can cause such harm in our body.

Take care

Loading...

Thank you so much for sharing your personal experience with us. I find this information very helpful.
Reply

Loading...

Same experience here. if i put any on, tiny blisters/cysts form on my top lip line that seep fluid, and itch. within a couple days it then intensifies to burning and spreads to my bottom lip line. it starts feeling like i have a line of "scabs" on lips. after that they start drying up, but drying my lips up with it so that they are cracked and bleeding.

here's my takeaway...

spontaneous allergy apparently possible, so even if you've used it in the past doesnt mean you cant be allergic to it now. the first time i thought i had gotten herpes, actually, and dismissed an allergic reaction (which is what my doctor had suspected) because the lip product i was using was something i'd used before, with no adverse effects. it wasnt until i realized that these "outbreaks" only followed use of burts bees balm (this was only after a long unfortunate cycle of outbreaks because i kept putting the stuff on once it started to heal to "re-moisturize") that i figured it out.

so while i've used burts bees, blistex, and chapstick with some regularity in the past, i have found this year that i can no longer use any of them. it's sensitive enough that if my boyfriend smears a tiny bit of blistex on and kisses me later, my lips will still detect it and have a minor outbreak of blisters the next day.

the only thing i found i can tolerate is vaseline, and i have found it helps to apply it liberally and often to speed the healing.
Reply

Loading...

I think you just solved an age old problem of mine. I had exactly the same reaction, and always either on a beach holiday, or putting on some kind of lip balm when my lips felt like a cold sore was coming on. Thank you, thank you, thank you.I just wish I had read this 12 days ago, before I went to Cuba.
Reply

Loading...

I also have same problem with my dry and chapped lips and sore and very swollen.....tried coconut oil olive oil cortisone cream nothing works I need help if anything you know works please let me know Thanks Shelly

Reply

Loading...

...


Just thought I'd chime in. I've been using blistex products for years. Never had a problem...until now. A couple of weeks ago, my lips started to get irritated. Then came the swelling. Dry and cracking, yes, but not the worst they've ever gotten. But the swelling was something I had never experienced. Of course, it all just makes me slather on the blistex even more. After a week of steadily getting worse, I decided I had to put something (anything) different on these poor lips o' mine. My roomate suggested carmex. I hadn't used carmex in 20 years. As I recall, I didn't care for it. I wanted to get something completely different. As in "no petrolatum". I grabbed a couple of things, but got the carmex, too. Long story short, I didn't like the others, so I tried the carmex. It worked. After about 3 days, my lips are pretty much back to normal.

CARMEX, CARMEX, CARMEX CURED MY SWOLLEN LIPS!!!
CARMEX, CARMEX, CARMEX CURED MY SWOLLEN LIPS!!!
CARMEX, CARMEX, CARMEX CURED MY SWOLLEN LIPS!!!

I don't actually think the carmex 'cured' me. Most likely, it was simply that I stopped using the blistex. Oh, and for those who want to know, it was the old school little white jar with -Carmex Classic Lip Balm Medicated- printed on the yellow cap.

Good Luck
Yimmy

...
Reply

Loading...

Wow, it's interesting to know I'm not the only person who gets these problems with her lips! Never met anyone who has! I developed extremely overly sensitive lips when I used Lip Cote over my lipstick for years a long time ago. Suddenly I found I could no longer use anything on my lips, not even Clinique products or hypoallergenic products or any lip balm. This went on for about 30 years! Slowly now my lips are starting to recover after I used what has been a wonder product for me - so simple, it's a virgin organic coconut lip serum in a tube by Dr. Organic at Holland & Barratt. Organic coconut was recommended to me by a pharmacist so thought I'd try it with nothing to lose as NOTHING else had ever worked. This works!! Like a miracle. Ot soothes and does not cause any tingling or rashes for me. Since using it for 2 years I can now even use some other lip balms and even some lip glosses (Hooray!!!), but only ever matt gloss or sometimes pure gloss with no Shimmer! Shimmer is bad for me and causes tingling straight away. There are lots of new lip glosses around now that are matt and I find I'm ok with them, even the cheap ones. I tried everything in the past, spend a fortune and in the end a simple natural product has more or less cured me. Still have to be careful what I use though, not certain things and nothing with metal (shimmer) in. I hope this helps someone.
Reply

Loading...

I used LipCote once and the next day my lips swelled up became really itchy/painful and scabby! Nothing seems to help make them better. Ive tried using pure coconut oil and that hasnt worked either...
Reply

Loading...