My sister suffers from metastatic melanoma, in her case cancer is very progressive and it spreads from its origin site to distant site of the body. She was on chemo, which is a way to improve the quality of life but not a cure. I have heard that vaccine MDX-010 is on the last phase of clinical trial prior to FDA review. Can you tell me more about MDX-010?

On one of the symposiums of the Society of Surgical Oncology presented that vaccine MDX-010 in addition to interleukin-2 provides anti-cancer responses in patients with metastatic melanoma. MDX-010 is a type of vaccine that is comprised of a protein that is targeted against CTLA-4, a molecule that is found on a specific type of immune cells and it disables the ability of CTLA-4 to suppress the immune system, and is thought to potentially stimulate the immune system to help attack cancer cells in the body. A recent clinical trial was conducted to evaluate MDX-010 in addition to high-dose interleukin-2 in patients with metastatic melanoma is in the last phase of clinical trial prior to FDA review.